X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett dies

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
    March 6, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

Puckett died at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, Kimberly Lodge said. He had been in intensive care since having surgery at another hospital following his stroke Sunday morning.

Puckett carried the Twins to World Series titles in 1987 and 1991 before his career was cut short by glaucoma. His family, friends and former teammates gathered at the hospital throughout Monday.

The hospital said Puckett was given last rites and died in the afternoon.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I am terribly saddened by the sudden passing of Kirby Puckett," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "He was a Hall of Famer in every sense of the term.

"He played his entire career with the Twins and was an icon in Minnesota. But he was revered throughout the country and will be remembered wherever the game is played. Kirby was taken from us much too soon -- and too quickly," he said.

The buoyant, barrel-shaped Puckett broke into the majors in 1984 and had a career batting average of .318. Glaucoma forced the six-time Gold Glove center fielder and 10-time All-Star to retire when he went blind in his right eye.

"This is a sad day for the Minnesota Twins, Major League Baseball and baseball fans everywhere," Twins owner Carl Pohlad said.

Updated on Monday, Mar 6, 2006 8:39 pm EST
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

he was always a little chubby, but I saw his pic in the Tribune today and he really ballooned

they said he was like over 300 pounds or something
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And when your family has a history of dying young, its not a good idea to get that overweight.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        And when your family has a history of dying young, its not a good idea to get that overweight.
        QFT
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Thanks for the memories
          Attached Files
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

44 years but what a 44 years

Comment

He was one of my favorite players growing up.
              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Chubby little short guy. He always looked like some guy you'd choose last to be on your team because he obviously couldn't be any good with a build like that.

Comment

I'm sorry he passed on.

But he didn't belong in the hall of fame.

and he was pretty much garbage as a person during his post playing days.

Comment

As a player, he absolute belonged in the HOF.

But asleep is otherwise spot-on.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

If being garbage as a person is a disqualifier, we need to kick Ty Cobb out.

If it's not a disqualifier, we need to let Pete Rose in.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                        But he didn't belong in the hall of fame.
                        QFT

His similarity scores place him closest to Don Mattingly, who has a higher career OPS+ than him. I don't think anyone thinks Mattingly should be in.

Puckett gets the same boost Jeter does. They are good players, but not nearly as good as the hype paints them as. But they won Championships, so that somehow makes them better players. (though since Jeter is a SS, his stats are more impressive by comparison to his fellow SS, even though his defense sucks)
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          If it's not a disqualifier, we need to let Pete Rose in.
                          No, Pete Rose broke the cardinal rule. I agree that character is not a determinant, but Rose has no place in the hall.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

One of my favorites growing up. I still have his rookie card.

RIP
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

He didn't belong in the hall due to his numbers, not his personality.

GP 1783
                              H 2304
                              HR 207
                              RBI 1085
                              SB 134
                              BB/K 450/965
                              OPS 840
                              AVG 318

2 WS championships
                              1 batting title
                              10 all star games
                              6 gold gloves

Are those really HoF numbers? I think not. Very good numbers, some great, but the gold gloves and all star games are horribly overrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X