Fly me to the moon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Az
    Europe is lagging in the space race, if you ask me.
    And thank Grog for that.

We should leave the whole manned spaceflight business to the Russians and Chinese, and concentrate on the parts of space exploration that are actually interesting.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

12 years? Kennedy was quicker than that, and he started from zero. Yes, that was JFK himself!

Comment

The politcal climate was different in JFKs day, thats what drove the Gemini/Apollo programs.

Comment

Apollo was about as long as this. The engines for the Saturn V were designed in the late 50s.

I have no problem with the schedule, just the method of operations (government-dominated) that makes the schedule necessary.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Apollo was about as long as this. The engines for the Saturn V were designed in the late 50s.

hint: they are already developed.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I wouldnt vouch for it, but this article seems to refute the "Just Another Apollo" mindset.

Edit: It's in four parts, so you'll have to look for the other three on the site.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                Since China's industry manufactures so much that they have to curb the supply to maintain prices, and Europe's isn't manufacturing anything at all, but just imports all their industrial goods, I don't think that europeans can lecture the chinese on the faultiness of their equipment. Europe is lagging in the space race, if you ask me.
                Europe's manufacturing base isn't quite as eroded as America's. Nor does it compare especially badly to China.

As for Europe lagging in the space race, that is mostly true. Although it's not as if anyone is forging ahead.

Comment

I don't know about you, but it would appear to me that neither Boeing nor EADS, and that neither GE nor Rolls Royce, are just re-exporting "made in China" equipment.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Az

hint: they are already developed.
                    Not precisely.

They will be using engines with derivative designs. For instance, they have decided to slightly redesign the J2, which originally was designed in 1960 for the Saturn V. In truth, none of these engines were designed from scratch -- not even those on the Saturn V.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      That could change, but it's more likely that a $2 million Texas startup would give NASA serious competition.
                      Not to sound crass, but I see a lot of duct tape. Plus the cartoon animals are oddly upsetting.

Comment

Duct tape is important at this stage of their development.

That startup, run by a handful of volunteers, is one of the most competent organizations out there, believe it or not. Certainly, they have more experience in computer-controlled pressure-fed propulsion using various fuels/oxidizers than anybody.
                        Last edited by DanS; March 3, 2006, 11:11.

Comment

And cartoon animals keep up the morale.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Some of the folks involved come from the world of computer animation. That's why you have the very high quality cartoon animals.

Anyway, to be clear, I'm suggesting that any of a number of startups could do this (SpaceX, Blue Origin, etc.). One of those contenders is the Texas startup.
                            Last edited by DanS; March 3, 2006, 11:18.

Comment

So even if spacefaring doesn't work out, they can still earn a living with cartoons.

Comment

Every time you buy a Doom or Quake game, a little of that money goes to spacefaring.

Comment

Working...
                                X