Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is 6=-1*-6=-2*-3...

This can get muddy pretty fast.
    It depends on what definition you are using.
    Most definitions explicitly require p>1 for a prime, but it depends on how you want the Unique Factorization Decomposition theorem to hold.

You can either say that only positive numbers can be prime in which case every integer is up to a unit (1 or -1)uniquely factorizable as a product of primes.

Or you can accept negative primes as primes and say that every integer is uniquely factorizable as a product of primes up to associates (p vs -p).

The point is I've seen many references and sources, even in advanced abstract algebra whose definition of primes would include negative ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      -7 isn't a prime number. It is divisible by -1.
      I was under the impression that, by definition, prime numbers are natural numbers who only have two positive divisors: 1 and itself.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!

Could You Pass 8th Grade Math?

Whether you want to build the perfect car collection on GranTurismo or kill zombies in Resident Evil, we've got you covered. Supercar Blondie will also keep you in the loop with new video game releases and discuss what's worth it and what's not.

That average / median / mode question almost had me.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• That average / median / mode question almost had me.

You're not the only one...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And your employees need to do this, as opposed to say, the manager? You're changing the parameters.
            I'd like my employee to notice **** like this, and catch me in case I **** up.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

-7 isn't a prime number. It is divisible by -1.
              So is 7

Certain forms of the definition allow negative numbers to be primes, though most conventional definitions do not.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

I was under the impression that, by definition, prime numbers are natural numbers who only have two positive divisors: 1 and itself.
                It depends who you ask. Your definition is vaguely ambiguous on the 1 as a prime number question.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And your employees need to do this, as opposed to say, the manager? You're changing the parameters.
                  If I didn't want my employee to be able to do something like this, then I wouldn't bother hiring somebody who graduated from high school.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                  X