X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!

Could You Pass 8th Grade Math?

Whether you want to build the perfect car collection on GranTurismo or kill zombies in Resident Evil, we've got you covered. Supercar Blondie will also keep you in the loop with new video game releases and discuss what's worth it and what's not.

YAYYYYY
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Algebra should not be required for graduation from high school.
      Algebra is not just for solving equations. It also trains one's mind to work on more abstract levels. Elementary algebra, which is using letters or other placeholders for numbers, is one level of abstraction above numbers. Don't forget that numbers are an abstraction themselves.

I don't think anybody should be allowed to graduate from high school without the ability to think along a certain level.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I want to make something clear, anyone who thinks basic arithmetic or science should not be taught in high school is an idiot.

That having been said, advanced math and sciences should be optional (as they are almost everywhere). Employers can be assured a HS diploma means basic competence. From there, if the employers have any balls, they can administer their own warehouse test for their warehouse workers.

I'm not sure what the hubbub is. HS diploma gets you a job at Blockbuster. If you can't do it you are fired, end of story. Go to college for christ's sake.

Oh, and I want to post this for the record, Nota Bene that this was without aid of a calculator:

You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 7/10 correct!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          I want to make something clear, anyone who thinks basic arithmetic or science should not be taught in high school is an idiot.
          Anyone who needs basic math or science in high school is already an idiot.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            Says the man who just got a C- in 8th grade math.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Wiglaf, you're the man
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He at least had the balls to man up and admit that he got 7/10.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  He at least had the balls to man up and admit that he got 7/10.
                  At least I'm not the only one.

Wiggy =
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

You Failed 8th Grade Math

Oh no, you only got 4/10 correct!

Could You Pass 8th Grade Math?

Whether you want to build the perfect car collection on GranTurismo or kill zombies in Resident Evil, we've got you covered. Supercar Blondie will also keep you in the loop with new video game releases and discuss what's worth it and what's not.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Jaguar fail math? That's unpossible!
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

You have 12214 boxes of dildos in your warehouse, each pallet can hold 200 boxes of dildos. How many pallets is that?

200x = 12214, solve for x.

or...

You've got hundreds of items of 10 models of different dimensions and weight. How do you store these in your warehouse most efficiently?
                          I like the example...

6207 boxes have a retail price of $10 per dildo and a wholesale price of $50 per box. There are 10 dildos per box. The other 6007 have a retail price of $13 per dildo, a wholesale price of $60 per box and contain 8 dildos per box. The retail prices include 6% sales tax.

How much money will you make if you sell all the stock in the warehouse?
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

• The author there is absolutely right. I never need maths, well apart from simple adding and multiplication etc.

There is one thing I don't get: Does everyone get the same level of maths at school? Someone with poor skills in maths simply can't follow the same classes as people that understand it better, right?

Putting everyone regardless of their skills together in one maths class is insane!
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

• they dont' put everyone together...

algebra is what the better people do at 7th grade or before, and what those with weaker skills have to do to graduate 12th grade

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• My daughter passed her high school graduation math test requirement after finishing 8th grade honours math (grade 9 math) so it isnt set at anything approaching the level required for science etc. OTOH that level is still well beyond anything required for the average person. I'd rather that the kids not going on to university had good arithmetic skills and exposure to uses of arithmetic in everyday life.
                                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                                X