Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prove your domestic worth!

Originally posted by Mao
    So I was making rice the other day in a pot (because alas, I can't afford a rice cooker) and the rice turned out alright. The problem, however, is that now there's a layer of (more or less) hardened rice in the bottom third of the pot, and I can't get it out! argh...even trying to jab it with knife and fork doesn't really do anything. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about maybe boiling water in it to loosen it? Who knows what they're doing around the kitchen around here...c'mon, prove your worth.
    If we don't use a rice cooker to cook rice we will use an earthware pot.

As for the "hardened layer" we usually put in a bit of boiled water to soak it a bit, then use a spoon - not a metallic one, a wooden/bamboo/ceramics one - to scrap it out.

Alternatively, you can make rice by steaming. Then you don't get that layer to contend with.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Unfortunately, since I pretty much only have one pot...steaming isn't exactly an option for me...
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
        Unfortunately, since I pretty much only have one pot...steaming isn't exactly an option for me...
        Well, how deep is your pot? I ask because it is very easy to make a setup for steaming. Just put some water in the pot and put a support thingie inside. I don't know what they are called but you can get them in Chinatown. It's a stainless steel wire frame with legs. Then put your bowl with rice and some water inside. Close the cover but leave a small crack. Then turn on the stove.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

did stir... but I guess not enough. Oh well, you learn as you go...
          Next time use less heat, be patient while making food, rush only deprives you of quality.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
            I did stir... but I guess not enough. Oh well, you learn as you go...
            You only need to stir rice once and gently just after you put it in the water. Stiring rice while it cooks will separate the starch and make a goopy mess. The trick is very low heat so as not to disturb the rice too much while cooking. I keep the heat so low it barely bubbles, with the lid on. Even if I forget I'm cooking rice and leave it on the burner for a few minutes when there's no more water, it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              I'v burnt rice to a pan, soaking doesn't work...
              Steel wool!

Comment

Working...
              X