Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prove your domestic worth!

OK Polytubbies, here's my problem:

So I was making rice the other day in a pot (because alas, I can't afford a rice cooker) and the rice turned out alright. The problem, however, is that now there's a layer of (more or less) hardened rice in the bottom third of the pot, and I can't get it out! argh...even trying to jab it with knife and fork doesn't really do anything. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about maybe boiling water in it to loosen it? Who knows what they're doing around the kitchen around here...c'mon, prove your worth.
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Do exactly what the rice cooker does. Get something to prevent the rice from sitting directly on the heated metal surface.

My rice cooker has a small removable metal "shelf". Really it's just a round piece of alumnium with lots of holes big enough to let steam through but not rice grains with legs to lift it off of the bottom of the pan.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I would think leaving it to soak in water and dish detergent for an hour or two should loosen it enough to wash out.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

BTW how can you not afford a rice cooker? There are models which sell for $19.95?

As for cleaning just leave it to soak in water in the morning and when you return from work/school that night most of it should easily come off.

Comment

yes... learn to cook rice

to remove cooked on rice from the pan you'll probably need iron wool
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Do exactly what the rice cooker does. Get something to prevent the rice from sitting directly on the heated metal surface.

My rice cooker has a small removable metal "shelf". Really it's just a round piece of alumnium with lots of holes big enough to let steam through but not rice grains with legs to lift it off of the bottom of the pan.
            That's an odd rice cooker you have, then. Most rice cookers are simply metal bowls that sit on a heat element inside of an insulated case.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I'm a white boy so I bought the cheap model. Looks something like this.

The type with the stainer/bowl in it would likely be better.

Comment

Nuke it for about 10 minutes...
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I have a steamer, but I cook my rice in a pot on the stove... I have a stackable steamer. Use to have one like Oerdin, but I got cultured.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

You can leave it in hot water, for a while and then (still being in that water) try to scratch the rice from it, or you could use fat dissolver, if you use one for dishwashing, that should do the trick - hot water + fat dissolver + some time + some scratching and you're done..

Ultimately, if there are still little pieces of rice there, you could use soda. Simply drop the powder on the surface and use some lightly scratching material to get it clean.
                    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Ahh, and next time when you boil rice, stir it slowly..
                      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Indeed, just as with pasta, at first stir it, then leave it.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Leave it to soak in hot water and detergent before scrubbing, yes.

If it is VERY full of hardened crud, you might want to use some of the stuff you use in the dishwasher to soak it in.

There are steel-wire brushes made for scrubbing pots with. Work beautifully (but do not use on anything coated with a layer of anything).

Comment

Nuke it for about 10 minutes...

0_o
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Prove your domestic worth!

Originally posted by Mao
                              OK Polytubbies, here's my problem:

So I was making rice the other day in a pot (because alas, I can't afford a rice cooker) and the rice turned out alright. The problem, however, is that now there's a layer of (more or less) hardened rice in the bottom third of the pot, and I can't get it out! argh...even trying to jab it with knife and fork doesn't really do anything. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about maybe boiling water in it to loosen it? Who knows what they're doing around the kitchen around here...c'mon, prove your worth.
                              Come on man! Obviously soak it in water. If that's too hard to figure out you shouldn't be in the kitchen. Get out before you burn the house down.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X