Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this guy bets his friend he can get 1,000,000,000 page views...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know
    Monkey!!!

Comment

He said pageviews not unique hits.

Pageviews go up with reloads and whatnot.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

But surely he could just sit there for as long as necessary, and reload the page relentlessly until he'd won the bet, hoping that other morons would make up the bulk of this so he didn't spend his entire waking hours doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          I'm not clicking. What's he currently at?

I've refreshed, and it doesn't increase the amount. The guy talks about genuine viewers of the page in his speech, and I suspect it is true.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Read my lips, it's 1 million he's trying to reach. all this billion talk is just PR.

Comment

He uses StatCounter to do the counting... They count unique visitor based on a cookie. So delete the cookie and revisit to get him to one billion.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

According to the fine print at the bottom of the page, the cookie expires in only 60 minutes:

Hits counted by statcounter.com, as there are only 6 billion people on the planet, I have set a cookie time between each persons counted hit to 1 hour
                So he's not going for unique visitors, just pageviews.

Comment

But surely he could just sit there for as long as necessary, and reload the page relentlessly until he'd won the bet, hoping that other morons would make up the bulk of this so he didn't spend his entire waking hours doing it.
                  If it's pageviews, it's no problem for an average PHP or Java programmer to create a script which downloads contents of the page every, say 5 seconds.
                  Then put 10 such scripts running on 10 PCs in a room and voila.

But that's cheating..
                  -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I too lazy to cli
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      Read my lips, it's 1 million he's trying to reach. all this billion talk is just PR.
                      That's what I was thinking.
                      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                      X