10" of snow expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" of snow expected

Sweet! A major noreaster. The first major snowfall of the year in my neck of the woods!

DC at 10 inches. Philadelphia might get a foot.

Heavy Snowfall Expected to Hit Region
    Forecasters Predict Up to 10 Inches of Snow

By Fred Barbash
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, February 10, 2006; 6:33 AM

Forecasters advised the Washington area this morning to prepare for the first big-time snowfall of the year this weekend, with accumulations of 5 to 10 inches between Saturday morning and Sunday noon.

The heavier snowfall is expected west of the I-95 corridor, with lesser accumulations to the east, though that pattern could change, forecasters said.

Northbound travelers were warned that the snowfall will move up the coast to a position just east of Cape Cod Saturday afternoon, fueled by Gulf and Atlantic moisture which could produce what the weather service called a "major northeaster."

Forecasters said the Philadelphia area could get as much as 12 inches.

Blizzard conditions were expected in the coastal stretches of New York and New England.

The entire area was under a National Weather Service winter storm watch, likely to elevated to a winter storm warning this afternoon.

Locally, the storm will start as a mixture of rain and snow after midnight Saturday before getting down to business later in the day.

Winds picking up to 15 to 25 MPH Saturday could reduce visibility for motorists to below half a mile, the weather service said.

Temperatures will hover in the mid-30s during the day Saturday, dropping into the 20s Saturday night.

Brian Guyer, a National Weather Service meteorologist based in Sterling, said the level of certainty for the snowstorm was "pretty good," adding that the watch would be elevated to a warning last this morning or early this afternoon.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Yesterday they told us that it was suppose to start snowing last night... guess what? It didn't.

Now they are saying tonight...

I've got my shorts on.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

That's Ohio for you. The weather in the Midwest can change there on a dime for no apparent reason. Here it's somewhat more certain.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

that's DC for ya... predictable

Monkey!!!

Comment

I call bull****. The radio this morning was claiming 12-18 inches for CT. Bull****. They inflate the forecasts every time. I'll be surprised if we get more than 6 inches.

Still, some snow will be nice.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            that's DC for ya... predictable

Well, only insofar as winter storms. Every couple of years we have a huge storm late in the season. The city shuts down for a week, etc. I can plot my calendar by it.

Comment

I'll be surprised if we get more than 6 inches
              my mind is really in the gutter...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                I call bull****. The radio this morning was claiming 12-18 inches for CT. Bull****. They inflate the forecasts every time. I'll be surprised if we get more than 6 inches.

Still, some snow will be nice.

-Arrian
                I think this might be for real. Whenever DC gets big snows, it's because there are two systems. One from the north to make it cold. One from the south with all the moisture. They meet up and all the sudden, it's a huge ass storm.
                Attached Files

Comment

Maybe, Dan. It's just that the last time I remember a snow forecast being accurate was like 3 years ago... maybe 4. We got close to 2 feet, IIRC. Since then, they're always wrong. Like the time they predicted over a foot and we pre-emptively shut down the entire state... and got ZERO snowfall. That rocked, actually.

Most of the time there is snow, but we get less than half the predicted amount. Some of that is due to where I live (Middletown is southern and on the river - it always gets less than Hartford, which in turn gets less than Torrington), but some of it is good 'ole fashioned media sensationalist. STORM OF THE YEAR! OMG!

I'll believe it when I see the foot of snow on the ground.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Snow? What's that?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cold coke. Falls from the sky man.
                      What?

Comment

It's this white stuff that rats you out at work

Monkey!!!

Comment

What?

Comment

That's more than we've had in 20 years.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Im at work now about to head home before it hits here. We are only expecting 1-3 inches in Arkansas but with some ice as well. The snow is easy to drive on but the ice sucks.
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                              X