• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish embassy invaded - Part II

The last thread was at 600 posts... you can find it here:

Feel free to continue the discussion.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Ming invaded the Danish Embassy, Breaking NEWS!!!
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Well, I've been to Dubai, Bahrain and Muscat. The UAE is not a bad place to visit (especially if you've been floating around the Northern Arabian Sea for 5 weeks), and while some places in Dubai were economically depressed, I would say no more so than...the Barrio right outside of the Naval Base in San Diego. I have a suspicion that part of this reason is, on the drive from the port at Jebel Ali to Dubai, we must have gone by a dozen technical schools of one kind or the other. People knock technical schools, but I submit that if you strive to improve yourself and make yourself more marketable you're more likely to suceed. Here you have a whole bunch of Arabs who don't (quite) have the "hard work is for lessers" hang-up that others do, and lo and behold their country is more economically successful.

Bahrain, I am convinced, is only hanging on because a chunk of the country is a US Naval reservation, and American servicemen tend to have a lot of disposeable income.

Oman was somewhat of a dump. Not really a economic success story, but I've noticed a lack of news coverage of violence in Oman related to the cartoons. Of the three Arab countries I've visited, the Omanis tended to be the most outgoing (and I don't mean in the "My friend, my friend, I have such a deal for you!" way) and inquisitive. Point of order, part of the Muscat Port Brief is that the average Omani will ask you questions...not because they're *******s or are casing the port for a Cole sequel, but because they have some odd culture thing about learning all sides of the issue there.

(Odd to Arab countries, not *most* Western ones)

Hmm...and no reported violence because of this cartoon in Oman. Coincidence? I think no.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
        Well, I've been to Dubai, Bahrain and Muscat. The UAE is not a bad place to visit (especially if you've been floating around the Northern Arabian Sea for 5 weeks), and while some places in Dubai were economically depressed, I would say no more so than...the Barrio right outside of the Naval Base in San Diego. I have a suspicion that part of this reason is, on the drive from the port at Jebel Ali to Dubai, we must have gone by a dozen technical schools of one kind or the other. People knock technical schools, but I submit that if you strive to improve yourself and make yourself more marketable you're more likely to suceed. Here you have a whole bunch of Arabs who don't (quite) have the "hard work is for lessers" hang-up that others do, and lo and behold their country is more economically successful.

Bahrain, I am convinced, is only hanging on because a chunk of the country is a US Naval reservation, and American servicemen tend to have a lot of disposeable income.

Oman was somewhat of a dump. Not really a economic success story, but I've noticed a lack of news coverage of violence in Oman related to the cartoons. Of the three Arab countries I've visited, the Omanis tended to be the most outgoing (and I don't mean in the "My friend, my friend, I have such a deal for you!" way) and inquisitive. Point of order, part of the Muscat Port Brief is that the average Omani will ask you questions...not because they're *******s or are casing the port for a Cole sequel, but because they have some odd culture thing about learning all sides of the issue there.

(Odd to Arab countries, not *most* Western ones)

Hmm...and no reported violence because of this cartoon in Oman. Coincidence? I think no.
        interesting
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

me thinks this is the official one. Anyway, to me it seems like things are startign to calm down, and that's good.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

This may be the Guardian, but I found it interesting:

1.30pm: Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published cartoons of the prophet Muhammad, refused to run drawings lampooning Jesus Christ, it has emerged today. By Gwladys Fouché and agencies.

Danish paper rejected Jesus cartoons

Gwladys Fouché
            Monday February 6, 2006

Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad that have caused a storm of protest throughout the Islamic world, refused to run drawings lampooning Jesus Christ, it has emerged today.

The Danish daily turned down the cartoons of Christ three years ago, on the grounds that they could be offensive to readers and were not funny.

In April 2003, Danish illustrator Christoffer Zieler submitted a series of unsolicited cartoons dealing with the resurrection of Christ to Jyllands-Posten.

Zieler received an email back from the paper's Sunday editor, Jens Kaiser, which said: "I don't think Jyllands-Posten's readers will enjoy the drawings. As a matter of fact, I think that they will provoke an outcry. Therefore, I will not use them."

The illustrator said: "I see the cartoons as an innocent joke, of the type that my Christian grandfather would enjoy."

"I showed them to a few pastors and they thought they were funny."

But the Jyllands-Posten editor in question, Mr Kaiser, said that the case was "ridiculous to bring forward now. It has nothing to do with the Muhammad cartoons.

"In the Muhammad drawings case, we asked the illustrators to do it. I did not ask for these cartoons. That's the difference," he said.

"The illustrator thought his cartoons were funny. I did not think so. It would offend some readers, not much but some."

The decision smacks of "double-standards", said Ahmed Akkari, spokesman for the Danish-based European Committee for Prophet Honouring, the umbrella group that represents 27 Muslim organisations that are campaigning for a full apology from Jyllands-Posten.

"How can Jyllands-Posten distinguish the two cases? Surely they must understand," Mr Akkari added.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran, that's also old news.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yeah, but I'm not going to read 600 posts .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

OMFG!!!! They published cartoons of Muhammed, so if they EVER turned down cartoons of Jesus, this PROVES they are hypocrites out to humiliate and provoke the muslim community.

Its interesting what straws people will grasp at.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Ming, use the rod on the other threads please.

They're cluttering up the forum, and proper posts might actually be made in them, when they could be made here.

That sounds like double standards on the part of the paper, and (I don't know enough/any Danish) who found the Muhammed cartoon funny? Was that the entire point of it? Now if I was a good enough artist to produce a Muhammed cartoon, then I'd have him saying something like: "I proclaim that all those who kill others, unbelievers or believers, in a cowardly fashion, will enjoy eternal bliss after their cowardly deaths", in the hope that some readers might appreciate the message. Praise be that I'm not a cartoonist then.

Comment

Everyone knows it was a Jewish conspiracy LOTM...

Phase1: Print Muhammed cartoons
                      Phase2: ????
                      Phase3: Profit!
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

for your shopping pleasure

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          OMFG!!!! They published cartoons of Muhammed, so if they EVER turned down cartoons of Jesus, this PROVES they are hypocrites out to humiliate and provoke the muslim community.

Its interesting what straws people will grasp at.
                          Please read the article rather than trying to be an apologist for the newspaper. They said the cartoon was offensive and not funny, so they weren't going to print it. Did they not feel the Muslim cartoons were offensive? If they just said they thought it was not funny, then fine, but they said they rejected it because of offensiveness.

You are becoming quite the anti-Muslim apologist, aren't you LOTM?

Comment

"Everyone knows it was a Jewish conspiracy LOTM..."

Jewish conspiracy to give ammo to Le Pen, Griffin, Mussolini's daughter, et al...?
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                              "Everyone knows it was a Jewish conspiracy LOTM..."

Jewish conspiracy to give ammo to Le Pen, Griffin, Mussolini's daughter, et al...?
                              I was making light of the Iranian "Holocaust" cartoons meant to counter the Eurpean publications. Because, you know, this will get that Jewish controlled media all fired up!

Comment

Working...
                              X