Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTO to EU: You'll eat GM food and like it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTO to EU: You'll eat GM food and like it!

Reason finally prevails.

WTO rules against Europe in GM food case
    By Edward Alden and Jeremy Grant in Washington and Raphael Minder in Brussels
    Published: February 7 2006 23:31 | Last updated: February 8 2006 11:11

The World Trade Organisation ruled on Tuesday that European restrictions on the introduction of genetically-modified foods violated international trade rules, finding there was no scientific justification for Europe’s failure to allow use of new varieties of corn, soybeans and cotton.

The ruling was a victory for Washington in a long-running dispute that has pitted US faith in the benefits of the new crops against widespread consumer resistance in Europe.

It was immediately welcomed by US farmers and the biotechnology industry, but castigated by environmental and consumer groups who charged the ruling was a blatant example of international trade rules running roughshod over democratic decisions aimed at protecting consumer health and safety.

The European Commission on Wednesday described the ruling as “a mixed bag” that criticised former EU regulatory measures, but would not impact current legislation, which came into force after the US-led complaint was filed in 2003.

“Our current system has been vindicated” said one spokesperson. “We are satisfied with parts of this report, particlularly the part that says our current system works. It is science-based and products are being approved.”

Officials said however they would wait for a final ruling, expected around April, to decide whether the EU had grounds to appeal.

A US trade official, briefing reporters on the confidential decision that was released to the countries involved in the dispute late on Tuesday, said: “We’re please with the outcome. We’re not at the end of the road, but it’s a significant milestone.”

The US, along with Canada and Argentina, launched the case in 2003 hoping that a favourable ruling by the WTO would prevent European-style restrictions on GM foods from spreading to Africa, China and other parts of the world. “One of the reasons we brought this case was because of the chilling effect the EU moratorium has had on the adoption of biotechnology,” the official said.

The immediate practical effect of the ruling is unclear. The European Commission halted the approval of new GM varieties in 1998, but began limited approvals again in May 2004, after the US launched the WTO case. Nearly two dozen applications remain in the pipeline.

The WTO decision also found against separate national bans established by Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Italy and Luxembourg, which have refused to allow even those GM varieties approved by Brussels. Those national restrictions have remained in place even after the moratorium was lifted in 2004.

US farmers welcomed the decision. Michelle Gorman, director of regulatory relations at the American Farm Bureau Federation, said: “We’re hoping that it is going to send a strong message to other WTO members that biotech approvals must be science-based and can’t take the amount of time that the EU has taken in approving their biotech products.”

The ruling was also seized on by groups representing large food companies such as Monsanto and Syngenta, which have been frustrated by the moratorium and the slow pace of approvals for new GM products. Sarah Thorn, senior director of international trade at the Grocery Manufacturers Association, said: “The WTO’s decision makes it clear that biotech regulations must be based on sound science and that the EU’s approach to biotech crop approvals is unwarranted.”

But Friends of the Earth criticised the ruling as an “inappropriate intrusion into decisions about what food people eat”. Brent Blackwelder, president of the group’s US division, said: “The WTO is unfit to decide what we eat or what farmers grow. It is an undemocratic and secretive institution that has no particular competence in environmental or health and safety matters.

“This WTO decision will only increase the determination of citizens in Europe and around the world to reject these poorly tested foods.”
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Good luck imposing this ruling.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

they will just change their justifications and say that the US is dumping produce on european markets. Between 1995 and 2000, there were 2,063 dumping cases brought up in the WTO. Of these, the US (279) and the EU (255) brought the most (Stiglitz, Fair Trade for All) Tell me, how is it that the largest countries, the ones most likely to be able to cleanly deal with import shocks, be also the ones who use this rule the most extensively?
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

By now they could probably allow it with little effect, since there's so much resistance to buying the stuff anyway.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The World Trade Organisation ruled on Tuesday that European restrictions on the introduction of genetically-modified foods violated international trade rules, finding there was no scientific justification for Europe’s failure to allow use of new varieties of corn, soybeans and cotton.
          We have things such as DDT and CFC. The latest addition is non-stick coating.

We should make sure things we create don't actually mess up the environment or ourselves before letting them loose.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well, good thing we don't have to buy them. Not that I think they'd be any more dangerous than the junk I eat today...
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              We should make sure things we create don't actually mess up the environment or ourselves before letting them loose.
              We should make sure that the Theory of Evolution is absolutely true with no holes before teaching it to our children
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

yay I my fish genes in my tomatoes, they look sooo fresh

transgenic foods - solution for worlds food problems
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Won't somebody think of the biotech companies?

Comment

and in other news

Last week, Monsanto sued two importers of Argentine soymeal in Spain. The company is seeking economic compensation and recognition in that country of its patent rights for Roundup Ready soybeans, genetically engineered to tolerate exposure to Monsanto's Roundup weed killer.

Spokesman Federico Ovejero said Monsanto Argentina remained "willing to work on a local solution but today, in the absence of other solutions, we have decided to take these actions."

serves them right

greedy Argentinans, want the GMO soya and want it for free... who is going to repay all those $$$ spent into research and development

Argentina's government estimates that 30 percent of the country's farmers buy GMO seeds on the black market, avoiding royalty fees. Local law allows farmers to reuse GMO seeds without paying fees.

Monsanto has been lobbying for two years for a new royalties scheme in Argentina, and stopped charging other companies licensed to use the Roundup Ready technology in their own seed varieties. But the government is unwilling to change the basic structure of payments.

A spokeswoman at the Agriculture Secretariat said Argentina will keep working "to show that Monsanto does not have a legal basis for doing the things it does and that it is clearly harming our nation" with its latest moves.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

[Eco-Luddite mode]
                      ZOMFG, FRANKENFOODS, FRANKENFOODS!!11!!11!1!!!
                      [/Eco-Luddite mode]

Just because companies like Monsanto are abusing the technology doesn't mean the technology is evil. The Eco-Luddites have this f*cked up "technology X can be abused by teh evil corporations, so Technology X must be teh evil" logic that is absolutely annoying. The technophobia, chemophobia, and nucleophobia in the West, especially in Europe, is so rediculous that you could get water banned if you called it hydrogen monoxide.

Comment

I hope GM never becomes a viable solution. WHat, then the hungry people in the world might have an option there, and where does that lead you? Nothing good I tell ya!
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: WTO to EU: You'll eat GM food and like it!

Originally posted by DanS
                          Reason finally prevails.
                          Good. Now give us back our 5 billion dollars.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                            [Eco-Luddite mode]
                            ZOMFG, FRANKENFOODS, FRANKENFOODS!!11!!11!1!!!
                            [/Eco-Luddite mode]

Just because companies like Monsanto are abusing the technology doesn't mean the technology is evil. The Eco-Luddites have this f*cked up "technology X can be abused by teh evil corporations, so Technology X must be teh evil" logic that is absolutely annoying. The technophobia, chemophobia, and nucleophobia in the West, especially in Europe, is so rediculous that you could get water banned if you called it hydrogen monoxide.
                            Genes are evil, mkay?
                            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

transgenic foods - solution for worlds food problems
                              Hahhaha! Yeah sure!

Same thing as generic drugs! I pretty sure private company dont want to sell their GMO for less than it cost( for the investment and research.)

Sorry for being sarcastic... but I could not see (in short-medium term) why company will want to give(or sell at a lower price) their GMO to feed poor people...
                              bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X