This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Hockey Thread

Are you guys excited?! I am! This is the last time we'll see this kind of international hockey until the next world cup ...

Anyway our team is doing badly. First we couldn't get Kipper, now it turns out we can't get Lehtonen to replace Kipper, who is the same caliber goalie. So now we're looking at Niittymäki. A decent goalie but definitely not the potential we were hoping for.

THEN we lose Sami Kapanen (Flyers), our good fast winger, then we lose D-man Väänänen. And earlier we lost Tuomo Ruutu. Dang! We can't afford to lose 5 players fast, we can always replace them but the team is not as balanced anymore. For example, we replaced Kapanen with Nieminen. Now we have too eggheads, J. Ruutu and Nemo. Guess who will be playing with 4 or 3 men the whole game?

T. Ruutu was supposed to balance the team being the third center, now we don't have 4 quality centers anymore. Koivu will be number one, Olli Jokinen who is playing a great season will be number two, but our plan was to bring up a youngster Mikko Koivu (brother of Saku) for the fourth line, to gain experience. Now we lost third center Tuomo Ruutu, so now we actually don't have a good balanced plan anymore. Most replacements will come from the Dallas Stars players, like Jussi Jokinen but he's just a youngster with decent season, not in the level required IMO.

On positive note, Selänne has had a good season and keeps averaging over 1 point per game, combined with Koivu feeding him and Lehtinen being the defensive winger with the ability to make great turnovers and scoring, we are looking at a very good first line, but second line is lead by Olli Jokinen, he's getting good wingers too but then we are looking at mediocre lines after that. That just won't do. We were totally dependent on Sami Kapanen and Tuomo Ruutu...

And the goalie section has taken that huge double hit already. Combined with a weak coach, a true underachiever coach, some of the mediocre lines really have to step up and the star lines have to be effective. We don't seem to be having the scoring problem this year, but we do have the goalie problem. Our defense is looking OK, with Salo, Pitkänen, Timonen etc but... who knows.

No excuses though. I hope they can trash few good teams
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

About the Panthers captain Jokinen, here's some trivia. Did you know that he broke NHL record? No, not in points even though he has managed to get 25+31 so far.

He is the only player now playing in NHL with most games without play offs games. He has now played 530 games and not a single play off game Imagine that! Needless to say he has not accepted the Panthers deal of 14 million dollars (4 season deal), but is looking to moving on.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Olympic Pekka Thread

Comment

Whatever this is in relation to, if it's hockey Australia ams teh winnr*.

*Disclaimer: Australia may not actually win anything
        "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
        Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Winston, isn't Denmark participating in the hockey too?
          In da butt.

Comment

Not sure, but I don't think so. I think they were close to qualifying, but just missed out.

I could check to see..

Edit: No, they're not in the Olympics this time. They're going on a tour of Japan instead, "Nagano Cup", which I suppose has just a tiny sense of something Olympic to it..
            Last edited by Winston; February 3, 2006, 09:00.

Comment

oh, seems they are not there this year
              In da butt.

Comment

the participants

* Canada
                * Czech Republic
                * Finland
                * Germany
                * Italy
                * Kazakhstan
                * Latvia
                * Russia
                * Slovakia
                * Sweden
                * Switzerland
                * United States
                CSPA

Comment

BLAST!
                  "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                  Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Comment

Italy is in? Cool.. I can't remember last time Italy qualified for big games.

Here's more trivia to NHL fans, did you know that Jari Kurri (Hall of Famer, leader of Euro points in NHL, well you know him!) also played in Italy? He went on to play in Italy mostly to make the game of hockey more popular in there. I think it was for one season ro something, and then he came back to NHL. This would be in the 90s. So he went as an embassador of hockey to play there. Then it ended sadly, as someone died in a game if I remember correctly, or maybe practice. Someone was hooking another player and that other player had a heart attack right there and died.

Now you know more!

On another note, I still have my hockey cards I collected when I was like.. 12 or 13. I have maybe few thousand, many Selänne cards, I think I have his rookie card. Anway I have a lot of those, maybe they will be worth something in the future, when he quits, now that he reached the 1000 points. Or maybe when he gets inducted to HoF. I should hold on to those a bit longer.. . Also the Jagr cards.. damn I have so many there's bound to be few valuable ones in the next few years.
                      In da butt.

Comment

Players are dropping like flies. Naslund is out for Sweden, Jovanovski's gone for Canada and it looks like Aki Berg is out for Finland.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

What? Berg is out too? Wow. 6th player in short time? Two from defense, two from the offense? Aaaargh nooooooo!!!!

Then again I'm not a fan of Berg. I'd rather take Niinimaa than Berg. But still
                          In da butt.

Comment

Berg's not officially out yet, but it doesn't look good:

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Jarkko Ruutu > Pekka
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X