US, EU3, Russia, China call for Iran to be reported to UNSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Despite what GePap will tell you, governments don't always act sensibly.
    And yet, after 50 years, we are still around... surprise.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And to repeat what I have said over and over:

Iran violated the NPT by caryring out secret nuclear work. They should be referred to the council, period.

What the Council can do, should do, is demand total Iranian transparency, or it will impose sanctions. What is should not do, unless it wants to end the NPT system (as broekn as it is) is create new obligations on non-nulcear powers in denying them certain nulcear activities they have a right to under the ability to create fully independent civil nulcear programs.

Sanctions aren't really going to happen, not ones that would actually hurt the Iranians.

The Chinese need cheap energy, and Russians wants more contracts (so do the Chinese), so don;t expect the UNSC to impose any sanctions that would seriously do anything to stop an Iran hellbent on nukes.

And don;t expect anything to actually stop an Iran hellbent on nukes form getting them, unless anyone here is willing to fight a full conventional war for it, that that is not going to happen.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Despite what GePap will tell you, governments don't always act sensibly.
        That's not an answer to the question. It's one thing for a country not to act sensibly, it's another to act in a way that completely ensures the utter and almost instant annihilation of your regime and your country.
        Last edited by Wycoff; February 2, 2006, 22:16.
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
          In other words, Iran needs to be nuked. Right or not?

Wrong.

1. Millions of innocent people.
          2. If you start nuking willy-nilly, MAD gets nullified and everyone will nuke willy-nilly.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Am I the only one who is really amused that Iran must be "reported" to the UN? As if all that's been going on is unknown to the UN, and only once the US, EU, Russia & China tell the UN about it will it know...

What is this, 3rd grade? "I'm reporting you to the principle!!"

-Arrian
            Don't smirk mister, if you're not careful this could go down on your permanent record!
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

I do worry about irrational use of nukes. And the US is as irrational as the Iranians.

Unlike you thought, I am not a hypocrite, because I believe the US does not deserve nukes anymore than Iran. (or any state for that matter). Conversely, if Iran wants nukes and leaves the NPT, they have as much right to them as the US does.
              i dont know who deserves what.

I think the states that advocated for NPT way back in the 1960s were right to be concerned about proliferation, and were realistic, and right to accept that the cold war made it very difficult to disarm the superpowers.

I think it has been good that in the post cold war era the US and Russia have worked to decrease their nuclear stockpiles.

I think that for the US to go further in nuclear disarmament, will require including the other nuclear states in negotiations, and addressing the issues of rogue states.

That said, I think it completely appropriate for the US to work together with its allies and other world powers to stop the Iranian regime from aquiring nuclear weapons.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                And to repeat what I have said over and over:

Iran violated the NPT by caryring out secret nuclear work. They should be referred to the council, period.

What the Council can do, should do, is demand total Iranian transparency, or it will impose sanctions. What is should not do, unless it wants to end the NPT system (as broekn as it is) is create new obligations on non-nulcear powers in denying them certain nulcear activities they have a right to under the ability to create fully independent civil nulcear programs.
                first - Does the NPT guarantee a right to enrichment? Im not sure it does.

second - if they only demand transparency from Iran, and iran then transparently engages in enrichment, then Iran has lost nothing from its prior cheating. What incentive is there not to cheat?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The IAEA voted to report Iran to the UNSC.

Vote was 27-3, 5 abstentions.

Supporting were all the Western countries (including Iran and eastern Europe) Russia, China, India, Ghana, several Latin American countries - Colombia, Ecuador, and Brazil.

Most notable, IMO, was the support of India and Brazil.

Syria, Cuba, and Venezuala voted no.

Algeria, Indonesia, Libya, Belarus, and South Africa abstained.

Pretty widespread support, good momentum going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    The IAEA voted to report Iran to the UNSC.

Vote was 27-3, 5 abstentions.

Supporting were all the Western countries (including Iran and eastern Europe)
                    Iran voted to report itself to the UNSC? I thought they were being uncooperative.
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Iran voted to report itself to the UNSC? I thought they were being uncooperative.
                      ok, i wont dans you. Australia, for some reason i typed Iran

Comment

Working...
                      X