State of the Union (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The diplomat
    If the unconstitutionality of the line item veto is upheld, it would be a shame in my opinion because I don't think it is unconstitutional and I think it would really help our government get things done better.
    Just because it isn't unconstitutional in your opinion doesn't matter one whit . The Constitution declares how a bill can become a law and 6 justices (and I agree with them) decided that a line-item veto circumvents that process and has the President legislating.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• ARTICLE I § 7:

All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.
      Who, but an activist judge, could look at that language and say the Constitution permits the President to veto part of a bill?

Comment

• Originally posted by The diplomat

If the unconstitutionality of the line item veto is upheld, it would be a shame in my opinion because I don't think it is unconstitutional and I think it would really help our government get things done better.
        The line Item Veto is definitely unconstitutional, it violates the seperation of powers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler
          ARTICLE I § 7:

Who, but an activist judge, could look at that language and say the Constitution permits the President to veto part of a bill?
          Scalia is an ACTVIST? NEVER. Only stupid moral-hating, queer-loving libruls are activists.

*sarcasm*

Comment

• It may be unconstitutional, but I kinda wish it wasn't.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• It's your fault for having a too-powerful Senate which overrepresents small states.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I just don't understand why they don't bother with an amendment.
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

• Yeah! Oh, wait, I live in a small state... and it's blue...

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Wait... how does having a too powerful Senate make the line-item veto unconstitutional?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• It makes it attractive (to deal with the amount of pork projects caused by the amount of horse-trading in your system, whcih I in turn blame on the Senate's composition and powers)
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• It's mostly the House's fault. That's where the budget originates from.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

• Yep, and the House has tiny districts where some pork really is useless (like airports in po-dunk towns). At least Senators represent states, which means they can find something worthy of spending pork on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Yep, and the House has tiny districts where some pork really is useless (like airports in po-dunk towns). At least Senators represent states, which means they can find something worthy of spending pork on.
                            Like the Robert Byrd Naval Research Center in (landlocked) West Virginia, or the "Bridge to Nowhere" in Alaska?
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                            X