No announcement yet.

State of the Union (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hopeful society has institutions of science and medicine that do not cut ethical corners, and that recognize the matchless value of every life. Tonight I ask you to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses of medical research -- human cloning in all its forms ... creating or implanting embryos for experiments ... creating human-animal hybrids ... and buying, selling, or patenting human embryos. Human life is a gift from our creator -- and that gift should never be discarded, devalued, or put up for sale.

I understand what points he's trying to make, but he still sounds like it's out of Marvel.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
      A hopeful society has institutions of science and medicine that do not cut ethical corners, and that recognize the matchless value of every life. Tonight I ask you to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses of medical research -- human cloning in all its forms ... creating or implanting embryos for experiments ... creating human-animal hybrids ... and buying, selling, or patenting human embryos. Human life is a gift from our creator -- and that gift should never be discarded, devalued, or put up for sale.

I understand what points he's trying to make, but he still sounds like it's out of Marvel.
      Laugh all you want, but here at the embassy we've already begun shredding all the docuemnts relating to Project Centaur...
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        "Congress did not act last year on my act to save Social Security."

Congress: YEAAAAAAA!!

That was the best part of what I was able to watch. After that the republicans kept trying to do the same thing in support of Bush. but the democrats wouldn't let them. It was amusing to watch the republicans start to stand then be quickly followed by the dems doing the same. I'll give Bush credit, though. It didn't fluster him as much as I thought it would.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          * Winston 's legs and hands start to hurt from all the standing and applauding
          Apparently a Dane's opinion matters
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

That would be a first.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, like when Bohr was tutoring Einstein on quantum theory, just to give one rather mundane example.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                ZoMg.....Teh Communist TerrorisT!!!!!!!eleven!!!!
                Yah, it's pretty much the same speech he gives every couple of weeks, terrorism, blah, blah blah
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That was the most bizarre Bush speeches I've ever seen. He basically sounded like a moderate Democrat (except for social security, claiming infinite powers, etc.). And he was constantly on the defensive. Stylistically, he wasn't bad.

Kaine was lame. He was stilted initially, and did very little to advance a Democratic agenda. The theme was simply bipartisanship. It was a message tailored to Virginia rather than the electorate in general. And he didn't bother mentioning the elephant in the room - the NSA scandal (or the Patriot Act Reauthorization, which is on the agenda this week). Big disappointment, IMO. I did appreciate his comments on financial aid, though.

Obama should've gotten the job (who has had more experience than Kaine, who was sworn into office a couple weeks ago).
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Yah, it's pretty much the same speech he gives every couple of weeks, terrorism, blah, blah blah
                    Actually I was er commenting on Japher not watching the speech and therefore being unpatriotic.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I was at the bar drinking during Bush's speech. But they had one of the tv's on fox news with the close captioning on. So I got most of it.

And drinking alcohol is about the only way to listen (or read) Bush. He actually came accross alot better that way. I actually supported a lot of his ideas. Or maybe that's just drunk talk. I'll find out in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        Laugh all you want, but here at the embassy we've already begun shredding all the docuemnts relating to Project Centaur...
                        An American with the penis and intelligence of a horse. Soon every woman on the planet will want one. Sheer, unadulterated genius!
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

A few interesting things from the speech.

On Social Security: Bush has now squarely put that problem in the lap of Congress. Probably where it belonged anyway.

On The War in Iraq: Painting the Republicans as having the more statesman like approach for the debate. This will be a campaign theme for the mid-term elections. The Democrats would do well to adopt the same approach.

On The Value of Life: Used closning to push an anti-abortion position. Subtle, but clear. The laws on anti-cloning could provide nebulous justification for courts that wish to persue the abortion issue.

On Energy use: Issued a national challenge on Mideast oil. The legislation that results from this will be interesting to see.

Overall...a strong move to the center in an election year. Good politics on paper. We'll see what the result is.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Odin: I believe he's referring (based on the excerpt, I didn't watch the speech), in his usual stupid and muddled way, to part-human chimaeras made for research purposes. I do find the idea pretty creepy myself TBH, but in the spirit of "bipartisanship," let's just stick to agreeing that Bush is a moron, as usual.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I had rented the Dukes of Hazard to watch during this atrosity of TV rescheduling, but it was too scratched up to even watch. Blockbuster will be getting an earfull today. Ended up watching reruns of Chapel, Rodney, and then CSI: Miami, which awful because Horatio is a beitch. To top it all off I forget to TiVo American Idol and then I come here this morning to find my thread had been threadjacked!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear Georgy did ok... any new Bushisms?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

The legislation that results from this will be interesting to see.

Just like the legislation that came from Bush's pledges to give umpteen billion to Africa I expect and increase funding to firemen and whatnot.
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X