I'm a nice guy, but I am very hostile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
    I understand my refined tact, unfailing politeness, and generally sympathic demeanour can give the false impression, but I'm not at 'Poly to be liked. Particularly not by pompous asses like Asher.
    To be honest, to me you just lack any sort of personality that makes you interesting in the least. That's why you didn't come to mind on the list.

It's not that I hate you, it's just that you're pretty much without any discernable personality on Apolyton.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• that's cause he's multi-sited

me and puns
      Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
        It's the pure informative form. Sentences such as "Could you help me?" or "I need help" leave unsaid the true meaning, i.e. "Help me" (though everybody understands, excepts disingenuous people).

what?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Being polite is social protocol that people are conditioned into equating into being nice.

I consider a lot of "politeness" to be a waste of time because I see through the protocol into the true intentions. When smalltalk begins, my first thought is..."Why are we doing this? There's no point to this. Shut up and let me listen to my music."

Alas, that's not how the world works, so I cave and be "polite" and engage in smalltalk, much to my pain.

I think many people here are incapable of seeing politeness for what it really is, because it's been drilled into their brain by society...

Comment

• perception is reality
            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Not if you're insightful.

Comment

• Not if you're insightful
                that doesn't matter, because it's other people's perceptions that creates your reality

sadly
                Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

what?
                  The point would be clearer if English had some reasonable morphology. The first is an infinitive, the second an imperative.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

To be honest, to me you just lack any sort of personality that makes you interesting in the least. That's why you didn't come to mind on the list.

It's not that I hate you, it's just that you're pretty much without any discernable personality on Apolyton.
                    I don't particularly hate you, I just find you pompous and annoying.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Being polite is social protocol that people are conditioned into equating into being nice.
                      One can be polite w/o being nice. People who are genuinely nice, however, are ALSO polite (after all, it really doesn't take much effort). If you're an arrogant jerk who acts like an arrogant jerk, you're still not any nicer than the arrogant jerk who pretends to be nice (by being polite). You might get some points for honesty, but you don't seem to care about such points, so what's the point?

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• My reality isn't necessarily formed by other people's perceptions.

I tend to ignore politeness as something useless, not something to make opinions on. A lot of people confuse it with being nice, and I think it doesn't mean anything.

For example, your stereotypical Queen B*tch drama queen teenage girl that is all nice and polite to people in person, but in reality hates people. A lot of people read too much into the politeness. I think that it's a crutch for a lot of people, honestly -- makes judging people that much easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                          One can be polite w/o being nice. People who are genuinely nice, however, are ALSO polite (after all, it really doesn't take much effort). If you're an arrogant jerk who acts like an arrogant jerk, you're still not any nicer than the arrogant jerk who pretends to be nice (by being polite). You might get some points for honesty, but you don't seem to care about such points, so what's the point?

-Arrian
                          Honesty is where you get stability in your life. You don't make false impressions, which is why most relationships of any sort can fail.

When I make friends (and significant others), I keep them because I'm an honest guy. My opinions are known. I'm a nice guy to the people who I am friends with and care about, and I'm honest at the same time. My honesty, especially on sites like this, comes across as an arrogant *******, and I'm actually fine with that.

It simplifies life when you're less deceptive, even if it's with good intentions.

Comment

• It's pretty easy to see through the people who are fake about their politeness, Asher. At least in my experience it is.

As for the rest... it's one thing to become obsessed about what other people think of you, to the point where other people's perceptions (or your perceptions of their perceptions) rule your life. Clearly, that's bad. But the other extreme ("I don't give a **** about what anybody thinks of me") can be bad too.

But hey, if you think being an (honest) arrogant jerk is a good thing, it's no skin off my nose.

-Arrian

p.s. I am generally thought of as honest to a fault. I often say things that others wouldn't say. Yet somehow I manage to also be generally polite. How can this be??
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I don't have a problem with Asher's honesty/arrogance... it's his ego that's the problem
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

• It's probably because you're a normal person where politeness is something that comes naturally to you.

When it's something that requires active thought and causes genuine annoyance, it starts to get old after 22 years.

I'm polite to the extent that is required of me. But if I'm talking with somebody and I think they're being stupid, I'll tell them that. I'll let them know what's on my mind. If they can tell me I'm being stupid, good on them too.

People become so obsessed with being well-liked that if somebody says anything not positive ("I think you're being stupid") they leap on the defensive to try to correct that opinion. God forbid people think something badly of them...

Politeness is abused. It's fitting into social standards and that doesn't mean much of anything, except perhaps that they're a follower.

Comment

Working...
                                X