No announcement yet.

I'm a nice guy, but I am very hostile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAIK, we non-natives are all doing an effort with our language, and we are respected for that.

Ottok excepted, I remember only two non-natives who got criticized for their English in the OT: Heresson because He always capitalised words like He, We, She etc., and aneeshm because he used to always , always put a space before each punctuation sign .
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

and,... ottok

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Che, you've got almost no qualifications to make statements about anything. People tolerate your opinions here because they're being polite, but you say some really crazy sh*t and most people here don't have the spine to say anything about it.
        I'm not the one who made a thread about leaving because he thought everyone here hated him. I may say some pretty crazy ****, but I get a lot more respect than you do. It's not because people are lying to me out of convention, but because, by and large, I'm a fairly decent guy who treats most people with respect. It serves no purpose to be an asshat to everyone simply because I think I'm smarter than everyone else.

Heck, pretty much the only people here I'm disrespectful to are those who are disrespectful towards me. You, on the other hand, are a jerk towards everyone, and have noone's respect, except when it comes to certain aspects of computers. I mean, if that's all you care about, fine. But that's so limiting, when being human is all about our interactions with others.

I've done some study into this. I don't just pull stuff outta my ass, as you are here. I wouldn't question your knowledge on computers. You shouldn't question mine on social aspects of humanity, at least not in the ignorant manner in which you are doing it.

Some lessons from computers might be instructive. Game theory teaches us that between always forgive and always attack, always attack (i.e., be an asshat) will win. Interestingly, when you add in forgive until attacked, then always attack, and forgive until attacked, then attack until randomly forgiving, we get an interesting result. Always attack (i.e., you), goes down fairly quickly (not as quickly as always forgive). In fact, the last option, forgive until attacked, then attack until forgiving, almost always wins.

As most intelligent people can gather, cooperation is superior to discord. Politeness is an excellent method of promoting cooperation. In fact, it's such an excellent method of insuring cooperation, and thus survival, that it is extremely likely that it is genetically selected for. Seeing as Asperger's is a genetic defect, one would have to be self-delusional, a Creationist, or or just foolish to argue against overwhelming evidence.

A study of a particular chimpanzee band also shows this in action. The head male chimpanzee wasn't the strongest chimp in the band. He, however, constantly gave gifts and did favors for the other chimps, especially the females. He was the only one who had breeding rights among the males (it's good to be the King). A young upstart chimp killed him and took his place. He was abusive towards the others, including the females. Eventually they grew fed up with his behavior and drove him from the band, selecting another "polite" chimp to be the alpha male. Early humans likely had much in common with chimpanzees.

Politeness means you are more likely to breed, that your band is more likely to stay together, that you and your offspring will survive. Being an asshat means you can only have what you can take for as long as you can hold on to it, that your social bonds will be rather weak, and that you and your offspring will be less likely to receive aid.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I may say some pretty crazy ****, but I get a lot more respect than you do.
          And what have you gotten out of it?

The only reason you prance around trying to get the respect from everyone is you accept all their money with your sob stories about how tough your life is.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

chegitz > regular people > *ssholes > Asher
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hey, che wasn't even polite enough to send a thank you to people like Boris who felt some pity and sent Che a cheque...

To have him lecture about politeness and respect is just stupid.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And what have you gotten out of it?

It's nice to be liked. It's a human need, like food, only less immediate.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hey, che wasn't even polite enough to send a thank you to people like Boris who felt some pity and sent Che a cheque...
                  Boris never sent me any money. Everyone who sent money got a private thank you and Christmas card (and you should hear Rah's story of the questioning he got when the letter from "Bunnygrrl" showed up), except one who asked not to, and another who's envelope got lost.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    It's nice to be liked. It's a human need, like food, only less immediate.
                    I'm liked by the people that matter to me.

It's rather sad to see people go out of their way to be liked. Those kind of people do not like me, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't think too highly of such people. I think it's rather spineless and high-school menality, much like trying to be popular.

Comment

Boris never sent me any money. Everyone who sent money got a private thank you and Christmas card (and you should hear Rah's story of the questioning he got when the letter from "Bunnygrrl" showed up), except one who asked not to, and another who's envelope got lost.
                      That's not what I was told by Boris some time ago. He was quite irate at you, even said you ignored his PMs about it.

I don't expect you to own up to that, especially when you're on your high horse.

Comment

(and you should hear Rah's story of the questioning he got when the letter from "Bunnygrrl" showed up)
                        LOL
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's not what I was told by Boris some time ago. He was quite irate at you, even said you ignored his PMs about it.

You are confused. Boris never sent me any money. I do owe Boris some money for a bet, but he never sent me a PM. In fact. I've never gotten a PM from Boris about anything.

The one person who was pissed (and who never sent a PM) was SuperSneak. His was the envelope that got lost. He only mentioned something years later.

And I didn't ask for any money. Everyone volunteered it.

See, politeness pays.

Who would send you money if you needed it?

Comment

Why would I need money? I spend less time trying to be polite and well-liked and more time developing my skills and furthering my education.

If I need money I've got a line of credit.

Comment

I spend less time trying to be polite and well-liked and more time developing my skills and furthering my education.
                              Who says you can't be both polite and well-liked (or at minimum... just not a complete *SSHOLE) AND "develop your skills and further your education"?

it's a shame you think those things are mutually exclusive
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                                Who says you can't be both polite and well-liked (or at minimum... just not a complete *SSHOLE) AND "develop your skills and further your education"?

it's a shame you think those things are mutually exclusive
                                It was a joke, Sava.

I'm an ******* to people who rub me the wrong way. To say I'm an ass to everyone is just stupid.

I'm a polar person. I like you or I don't, and I don't hide my feelings.

Comment

Working...
                                X