No announcement yet.

I'm a nice guy, but I am very hostile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The title of this thread makes me think of that Pantera song.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Well, when I was in Toronto, UofC meant University of Calgary.

And google ranks indexing by how many times it's referred to and linked to. So if a site links with text "UofC" to http://www.ucalgary.ca, it remembers that. When you search for "UofC", it ranks them accordingly.

Overwhelmingly, the University of Calgary is referred to as UofC online, which is why Google assumes UofC is University of Calgary. Because it's different where you are doesn't change the fact of the global scope of google.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
        notice you get different results if you type u of c instead of UofC. I think this has more to do with how the universities label their websites.
        In either case, the University of Calgary is at the top...

The University of Calgary routinely calls itself the UofC.

If you look at the webpages, http://www.ucalgary.ca mentions "UofC" at least 5 times.

http://www.uchicago.edu doesn't mention UofC at all...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Why on earth do you people debate this?
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Because some of us are perfectionists and see things through to its completion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

In either case, the University of Calgary is at the top...

The University of Calgary routinely calls itself the UofC.

If you look at the webpages, http://www.ucalgary.ca mentions "UofC" at least 5 times.

http://www.uchicago.edu doesn't mention UofC at all...
              yup, the university, if it uses it at all, doesnt use it much. Nonetheless real life users of the language routinely call Chicago U of C.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• My wife is a perfectionist - that's why she married me!
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                  Well, when I was in Toronto, UofC meant University of Calgary.

And google ranks indexing by how many times it's referred to and linked to. So if a site links with text "UofC" to http://www.ucalgary.ca, it remembers that. When you search for "UofC", it ranks them accordingly.
                  well that would bias it, since people making a practical reference in a list or whatever are more likely to link back to the univ homepage, than someone idly talking about the most important physicists or economists in a blog or news article, or something.

Look, ive used google to look up stuff, where I KNOW what the common real world referends are, and Google spits back lots of stuff thats, well, odd, and has few to the stuff im interested in, cause, well, of the way the net works, the kinds of things that are online, the way linking works, etc.

The internet is not the world (though its part of it). Google isnt usage (though its part of it)
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Because some of us are perfectionists and see things through to its completion.

What on earth is the perfection in this? Especially when you could have used the time to accomplish tasks that would really put you on the way to perfection? that's just the complete inability to concede a point that you don't really care about. It's simple : if you continue arguing on the topic, you are faced with the question: do you really care which uni is really called UofC? neither of the answers reflects positively on you.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Az
                      What on earth is the perfection in this? Especially when you could have used the time to accomplish tasks that would really put you on the way to perfection? that's just the complete inability to concede a point that you don't really care about. It's simple : if you continue arguing on the topic, you are faced with the question: do you really care which uni is really called UofC? neither of the answers reflects positively on you.
                      Well, I'm continually being told it's not the University of Calgary, when it is. So that bothers me.

And the reason I'm here is I'm taking a break from doing my other work, and htis is a break.

It's much easier to talk about this than it is to write a multi-threaded distributed Java database.

Comment

Because some of us are perfectionists and see things through to its completion.

my judgement leads me to agree with you.

Ok Asher, i quit, the arguements yours.

I still dont agree though

Comment

• Ethical questions of not doing your job aside, the thought of people spending their break on this argument is worrisome, you must admit.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Ethical questions of not doing your job aside, the thought of people spending their break on this argument is worrisome, you must admit.
                            better than posting when they should be working.

Comment

• Asher is taking a long break though. Started posting at 21:00 CET and still hasn't been back to work after 2 1/2 h

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                                The title of this thread makes me think of that Pantera song.
                                yeah, but Phil Anselmo isn't a nice guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X