No announcement yet.

Help me pick out a new computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I actually was thinking Dell, but that's mostly because of their free LCD. Though I probably won't get a computer until a month or more (until I actually get the money), and who knows if that is their offer then.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
      Any model preferences? You could get a Gateway 3GHz dual core, 2GB ram, GeForce 6600 for about $1500.
      Great ooglie mooglie!!

[Zkrib contemplate squandering some of his own money on a new computer.]
      Last edited by Zkribbler; January 29, 2006, 19:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Well, I actually was thinking Dell, but that's mostly because of their free LCD. Though I probably won't get a computer until a month or more (until I actually get the money), and who knows if that is their offer then.
        I have a DSI computer. 2 of them were builded for me by their tech, while I watched them being build. Check in your area and see if there is a DSI store. DSI is Digital System Innovation, Inc.

To run Civ 4, I think you might want a video card with 256 ram or maybe 2 video cards.
        My computer has just 2 disk drives, a 3.5 disk and a comb CD/DVD/RW in one. I also have 2 slots for digital video cards. I think one gig of ram will be OK for another year. By now a 3.2 gig should be under 1,000K. I got this computer 1 year ago. Also get a remote wireless for your modem.

My computer is 2.8 gig w/1 gig of Ram. Niv 6600 GTA 128 meg (civ 4 CTDT sometimes) Internal sound.

Comment

I have a DSI computer. 2 of them were builded for me by their tech, while I watched them being build. Check in your area and see if there is a DSI store. DSI is Digital System Innovation, Inc.

To run Civ 4, I think you might want a video card with 256 ram or maybe 2 video cards.
          My computer has just 2 disk drives, a 3.5 disk and a comb CD/DVD/RW in one. I also have 2 slots for digital video cards. I think one gig of ram will be OK for another year. By now a 3.2 gig should be under 1,000K. I got this computer 1 year ago. Also get a remote wireless for your modem.

There is a web site DSi2000.com

My computer is 2.8 gig w/1 gig of Ram. Niv 6600 GTA 128 meg (civ 4 CTDT sometimes) Internal sound.

Comment

For Civ 4?
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I run Civ4 with a 32 MB VRAM card, btw . It's on low setting, but I haven't run into all that many problems if I stay on standard/large maps .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I run Civ4 with a 32 MB VRAM card, btw . It's on low setting, but I haven't run into all that many problems if I stay on standard/large maps .
                I only play on Huge. I want a empire 20 or more cities. All of my setting are at the top.

Comment

So you don't necessarily need 256 MB VRAM for Civ4, do you?

Comment

Imran, you building your own?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Read the thread.

Comment

I did, I didn't see you mention anything about building your own or not... but I just skimmed... JUST ANSWER ME NOW PLEASE
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Read the thread.
                          the word "build" appears in none of your posts
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Help me pick out a new computer!

Oh, and I don't want to make my own,
                            FOUND IT!
                            because, well... I don't .
                            BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW HOW
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Wait a year and buy the same computer for less than half the price you would if you bought it today.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                                Wait a year and buy the same computer for less than half the price you would if you bought it today.
                                Yes, and then I can say the same thing next year .

Comment

Working...
                                X