Help me pick out a new computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick out a new computer!

Well, I just did my taxes. It seems that soon enough I'll be getting $1700+ from Uncle Sam and the State of Georgia (thank you tuition tax credit!), so naturally, I'm going to be helping out the economy and spending it!

I need a new computer. I have a 3 year old laptop with a 32 MB VRam graphic card that I can't switch out. So, I'd like a desktop, so updating will be easy. I also need a monitor (and now big huge CRT's please). Dell has this thing where they throw in a few LCD monitor (probably not that great, but not bad).

The minimums I need are:

1 GB RAM
    128 MB VRAM
    DVD drive
    DVD-RW/CD-RW

I'd ideally like to spend around $1500. Oh, and I don't want to make my own, because, well... I don't .

Any ideas?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Get this beast, you will not regret it
    Attached Files
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Re: Help me pick out a new computer!

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Well, I just did my taxes. It seems that soon enough I'll be getting $1700+ from Uncle Sam and the State of Georgia (thank you tuition tax credit!), so naturally, I'm going to be helping out the economy and spending it!

I need a new computer. I have a 3 year old laptop with a 32 MB VRam graphic card that I can't switch out. So, I'd like a desktop, so updating will be easy. I also need a monitor (and now big huge CRT's please). Dell has this thing where they throw in a few LCD monitor (probably not that great, but not bad).

The minimums I need are:

1 GB RAM
      128 MB VRAM
      DVD drive
      DVD-RW/CD-RW

I'd ideally like to spend around $1500. Oh, and I don't want to make my own, because, well... I don't .

Any ideas?
      iMac

*cue Asher

Comment

Oh, another MINIMUM:

NO MACS
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Imran is a gamer, so iMacs are a really bad idea.

Seriously, if I were you, Imran, I'd wait for Vista. Its not like you're in a hurry or anything. Or wait for Oblivion and buy something that'll run it smoothly.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

When is Vista coming out?

And I'll probably get Oblivion for the XBox360 (when I get the system ).

Comment

Any model preferences? You could get a Gateway 3GHz dual core, 2GB ram, GeForce 6600 for about $1500.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I would stay away from the Pentium 4 and Pentium D systems. Too hot and too slow for gaming.

Go for an Athlon 64 or X2 based system.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                  Any model preferences? You could get a Gateway 3GHz dual core, 2GB ram, GeForce 6600 for about $1500.
                  How are Gateway desktops these days? How's their rep?

Comment

I've heard different things depending on who is asked. I have a Gateway P3 1GHz for about 3-4 years and had few problems. My biggest challenge was finding drivers for everything after I reformatted the hard drive.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

And get more than 1 gig of memory. I would suggest 2 gig, in 1 gig sticks, and you won't have many problems (Read: you shouldn't) running CIV.

And the 7800 are out right? They are on PC express, so you could always consider getting two of them SLI'd together...
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Re: Help me pick out a new computer!

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        You're not going to help the economy like that. You need to save it and help plug the current account deficit.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                          And get more than 1 gig of memory. I would suggest 2 gig, in 1 gig sticks, and you won't have many problems (Read: you shouldn't) running CIV.
                          I saw some benchmarks recently and having more than a single gig isn't really worthwile (yet).

I would stay away from the Pentium 4 and Pentium D systems. Too hot and too slow for gaming.

Go for an Athlon 64 or X2 based system.

!!!!
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Krill

And the 7800 are out right? They are on PC express, so you could always consider getting two of them SLI'd together...
                            Yes, yes... but there is the ceiling on how much I can actually spend .

Comment

If you don't want the hassle, get a Dell

Otherwise, pick and choose the components and ask someone to build it for you. I'm sure there are local shops that'll do that for you. It will probably be cheaper than a Dell, and you'll get better components (better LCD, better motherboard, better case...)
                              Last edited by Nostromo; January 29, 2006, 14:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X