Palestinian Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if Hamas recognizes Spain...

The children's website Al Fateh, property of the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas, demands in its most recent issue the return of the Spanish city of Seville to the "lost paradise" of Al Andalus, as the Muslim part of Spain was called during its existence between 711 and 1492. The web magazine, whose name means "conqueror," says it is for "the young builders of the future."
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• Even if the US and EU cut a new Hamas run PA off, if (IF) Hamas cleans up the PA and makes it an effetive organization, and culls out its rivals throught the control of the police and all the security organizations, while keeping a ceasefire with Israel, it would become inevitable to have to deal with Hamas.

I agree with most of what is said, except that we would have to deal with them.

We are more than likely to enjoy the good fruits of their work, without dealing with them directly, or acknowledging them, just like I'm sure Hamas has had a benefit of a certain Israeli policy and government, without ever acknowledging it or saying that they like it.

hat will likely be a change, they'll be really in charge, unlike the Fatah ever did.

You are young, apparently and your knowledge of PA history is very slim, so I suggest you don't talk much.

It was around 96, that PA security forces shaved the beards (very insulting gesture) of several prominent Hamas leaders.

Comment

• What is interesting is that the younger Fatah types, Dahlan, Bargouti, etc want nothing to do with a Hamas govt. Evidently THEY think Hamas is more likely to fail, and that Hamas needs Fatah as cover to keep getting aid and recognition. If Hamas is set to achieve massive success without aid, this would seem to be a foolish strategy, and theyd be better off inside the new govt.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          hat will likely be a change, they'll be really in charge, unlike the Fatah ever did.

You are young, apparently and your knowledge of PA history is very slim, so I suggest you don't talk much.

It was around 96, that PA security forces shaved the beards (very insulting gesture) of several prominent Hamas leaders.
          Didn't mean to go that far back. The point implied was that Hamas partisans would be more likely to follow the authority's directives, if that authority is their own leaders. In other words, I said that stated and effective policies would be closer to each other.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Jpost:

"senior Hamas leader indicated Sunday in an interview to CNN's "Late Edition" that his group's landslide victory in Palestinian legislative elections changed little in its stance toward Israel.

Mahmoud Zahar reiterated that his movement would not ever recognize Israel's right to exist, nor did he reveal any willingness to negotiate. "Negotiation is not our aim; negotiation is a method," he said.

Zahar's comments came after Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said in Sunday's cabinet meeting that Hamas was, at this point, acting "responsibly," and added that he believed that the organization would soon attempt to rein in terror.

Asked if a Hamas-led Palestinian government would accept Israel's right to exist, Zahar responded, "The question should be answered first by Israel, because they are not accepting us, except as minority, not the owner of the land."

If Israel would concede to Zahar's stipulations then, Zahar said, the Palestinians would be willing to allow a 10-15 year trial ceasefire "in order to see what the real intention of Israel [was] after that."

The several conditions Zahar named included a demand that Israel change its flag. "Israel must remove the two blue stripes from its national flag," said Zahar. "The stripes on the flag are symbols of occupation. They signify Israel's borders stretching from the Euphrates River to the Nile River."

Jewish Virtual Library:
            'This decision to adopt the Zionist flag to be the flag of the State of Israel reflects its power as a symbol of the spirit of the Zionist movement. In order to examine the reasons that led to this decision, let us look for the symbolism and consider the motives which prompted the members of the Provisional Council of State first to consider replacing it and then to decide against doing so. Zionist tradition credits the design of the Zionist flag to David Wolffsohn. Legend even tells precisely when Wolffsohn had his brainstorm, namely, that during a meeting in Basel Herzl raised the question of the Zionist flag. When his proposal of a white banner with seven gold stars failed to marshal a consensus, Wolffsohn stood up and said: "Why do we have to search? Here is our national flag." Upon which he displayed his prayer shawl and showed everyone the national flag: a white field with blue stripes along the margin. In our attempt to uncover the message conveyed by the Zionist flag, we should therefore address each of its components separately — the Magen David (Star of David), the blue stripes and the white background.

“At the behest of our leader Herzl, I came to Basle to make preparations for the Zionist Congress. Among many other problems that occupied me then was one which contained something of the essence of the Jewish problem. What flag would we hang in the Congress Hall? Then an idea struck me. We have a flag — and it is blue and white. The talith (prayer shawl) with which we wrap ouselves when we pray: that is our symbol. Let us take this Talith from its bag and unroll it before the eyes of Israel and the eyes of all nations. So I ordered a blue and white flag with the Shield of David painted upon it. That is how the national flag, that flew over Congress Hall, came into being.”

— David Wolffsohn'
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
            X