Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spagetti westerns soon to become real life ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spagetti westerns soon to become real life ?

I can easily imagine the sound of "The good, the bad and the ugly" theme while heavily armed italians roam the streets

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Italy approves self-defence law

The Italian parliament has passed legislation allowing people to shoot robbers in self-defence.

The law permits the use of guns and knives by people in homes or workplaces to protect lives or belongings.

The reform was introduced by the Northern League party, a right-wing member of the ruling coalition with a strong anti-crime platform.

The opposition voted against the bill, which critics say will encourage people to take the law into their own hands.

Controversy

The new law will allow people to use legally registered weapons to protect themselves or others, and their property and the property of others, from harm.

It applies if there is a danger of aggression and the attacker does not desist.

Justice Minister Roberto Castelli backed the new law.

"Today criminals will have more to fear while there will be fewer problems for honest people," said Mr Castelli, who belongs to the Northern League.

However, the centre-left opposition expressed concern that it would encourage violence and lead to increased use of firearms.

"This is a... measure that delegates the use of force to citizens with the sole certain result of increasing the risks for people's safety," said Paolo Cento of the Greens party.

A criminal lawyers' group also criticized the law, saying it amounted to allowing "legitimate offence".
    Seriously, I hope that no other european countries take up this madness .
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

If you had the same trouble with crime Italy has had there'd be a bunker in every Danish house and tanks would be roaming the streets legally.

Comment

Doesn't this situation already exist in many U.S. states? If so, have otherwise law-abiding homeowners in those areas suddenly transmogrified into homocidal maniacs?
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
        If you had the same trouble with crime Italy has had there'd be a bunker in every Danish house and tanks would be roaming the streets legally.
        You are right ! How could I miss that. The poor criminals get so scared of the risk of meeting armoured people that they quickly becomes lawabiding citizens. They could never dream of armouring themselfes and start shooting at a whim.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
          Doesn't this situation already exist in many U.S. states? If so, have otherwise law-abiding homeowners in those areas suddenly transmogrified into homocidal maniacs?
          Quite right, and the number of people killed by guns is also significantly higher than in places where you are not allowed to carry guns.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Quite right, and the number of people killed by guns is also significantly higher than in places where you are not allowed to carry guns.
            Do you have some kind of link to that info?

Comment

just look at Iraq... uh... Afghananananastan... Serbia?

ummmmmm

facts schmacks!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Do you have some kind of link to that info?
                It's a little old but probably still valid and kind of scary :

Oh, and this is only children.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It would be interesting to see a state-by-state breakdown, as gun laws vary considerably.

Comment

It would be interesting to see a state-by-state breakdown, as gun laws vary considerably.
                    What do you expect to find ? A higher rate of weapon related killings in the states with tight gun control and a lower in those with more libral gun acces ?

A little cite from the above :

The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 years was nearly 12 times higher than among children in the other 25 countries combined

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I see nothing wrong with this law. If you fear for your safety and can't get away, you can defend yourself with your firearm. Good for Italy.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Don't worry, that's Italy. That be maffialand with looney government officials. Luckily the Alps protect us from their madness
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          I see nothing wrong with this law. If you fear for your safety and can't get away, you can defend yourself with your firearm. Good for Italy.
                          Just one question - how do you defend yourself if you are shot dead by an armed burglar ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What do you expect to find ? A higher rate of weapon related killings in the states with tight gun control and a lower in those with more libral gun acces ?
                            When guns are outlawed only criminals will have guns.

A little cite from the above :
                            How many of the deaths are from legally-owned guns?

Comment

Just one question - how do you defend yourself if you are shot dead by an armed burglar ?
                              You see, the trick, and this is very tricky, so follow me closely, is to either scare away the burger with your gun or shoot him first.

I imagine that if you were unarmed, you could find a way to defend yourself if an armed burgler shoots you dead, but not many are that enterprising.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X