No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y'mean, like when Sweden turned into a republic after the King praised excellent political arrangements of Brunei?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Instant gratification is what they have as a basis for society in America, not much further East. Plus Swedes are notoriously slow, as evidenced by some on this very board..

Comment

• You're doing a great job at selling this monarchy lark, Winston. Yes- that was sarcasm.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• After you've given up on trying to master "sarcasm", you should really try keeping quiet. It'd do you a world of good, not to mention how greatly it would benefit the rest of us.

Comment

• That being said, I was watching a debate between the two Finnish presidential candidates the other day. That was actually not as bad as I had imagined. They were debating in a quite sober and serious manner. I don't know if that was because they are presidential candidates, or because that's the way Finnish politicians behave, or because they were debating in Swedish which is AFAIK not their native language.
            Anyway it was refreshing to see politicians who weren't acting like rabid monkeys like Norwegian politicians usually do. Too bad that kind of discipline is unknown in this country.
            German model all the way. Either that, or let Finland annex us.
            CSPA

Comment

• I think both Harald and Haakon are also sober and serious, and not the least bit rabid. Plus you'll never have to endure them debating anything, which I would assume is part of the reason why people love them so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Winston
                Instant gratification is what they have as a basis for society in America, not much further East.
                This is supposed to be an argument? It's poor even for you.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

After you've given up on trying to master "sarcasm", you should really try keeping quiet. It'd do you a world of good, not to mention how greatly it would benefit the rest of us.
                  Who's this "us", Winston? Need I remind you that, going by the poll at the top, your position isn't terribly popular?

Come on! Win the public over!
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    This is supposed to be an argument? It's poor even for you.
                    No, it was supposed to be a reply to a horribly naïve and idiotic example provided by you.

Comment

No, it was supposed to be a reply to a horribly naïve and idiotic example provided by you.
                      How very sad indeed, then, must your argument have been that it was refuted by it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Come on! Win the public over!
                        Don't need to, that's the beauty of it.

I'm perfectly content with witnessing your blood pressure rise steadily with every post you make.

Comment

I think both Harald and Haakon are also sober and serious, and not the least bit rabid. Plus you'll never have to endure them debating anything, which I would assume is part of the reason why people love them so.
                          That is true.

The problem is that I could never become king. I could however become president one day
                          CSPA

Comment

• Originally posted by Gangerolf
                            The problem is that I could never become king.
                            Oh but you have to take it in steps, you see. First become a Prince of Denmark, manipulate Norway into independence with no heir apparent, then start soliciting.

Comment

• I think I'm 101 years late
                              CSPA

Comment

• Originally posted by Gangerolf
                                German model all the way. Either that, or let Finland annex us.
                                Nah, come back to mama, we have several hundred years of practice in handling you

This thread is really funny

Though despite Winstons succes in making monarcy looking bad, i actually think it's a better solution. I for certain will prefer any imbecile idiotic monarch when the risk may be that people like Sven Auken or our mad handbag lady Marianne Jelved could be elected as president
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X