No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: expecting more duck than donald...

Originally posted by C0ckney

i think you and i have a pretty similar educational backgrounds, so i'm assuming you're not 'provost harrison' ignorant regarding the monarchy, its functions, its role in the government of this country etc.
    I beg your pardon?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Bunch of poofters!

Neither is worth a damn...

TYRANY!
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        Bunch of poofters!

Neither is worth a damn...

TYRANY!
        I believe I would be quite the benevolent ruler.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Re: expecting more duck than donald...

i think you and i have a pretty similar educational backgrounds,
          I doubt it.

so i'm assuming you're not 'provost harrison' ignorant regarding the monarchy, its functions, its role in the government of this country etc.

bearing this in mind, lets hear your criticisms of the monarchy, go in to as much detail as you like, go nuts. as long as it's in relation to what the monarchy actually does.
          No. I'm not going to let you off the hook.

For the umpteenth time, why do you feel democracy is an unsatisfactory basis for selecting a head of state? Why should they not face democratic accountability for their actions?
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Is anyone interested on taking bets as to whether C0ck tries to duck the question again?

Comment

• Do you believe in universal suffrage Laz?
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• That +1 shields from cottages, hamlets, towns and villages does come in helpful
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney

i think you and i have a pretty similar educational backgrounds, so i'm assuming you're not 'provost harrison' ignorant regarding the monarchy, its functions, its role in the government of this country etc.
                  I'm still waiting for your argument that I am 'ignorant' compared to you and your obviously fantastic education? Do you recall where I went to university before we go down this road? Because your comment is pretty f**king offensive...
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

• The house of Orange should go ASAP. They are not even descendants of William the Silent anyway.

A couple of years ago the crown-prince married, and in order to emphasise the Dutch proud stance for Democracy and Universal Human Rights the bride's father was not allowed to attend the wedding.
                    Go figure.

Other niceties are corruption and bribes (Bernhard), whitches at the Court (Juliana) and Wilhelmina trying to curtail parliament's influence after she had a swell authocratic period in exile during WW2 and was not quite ready to give that up.

I prefer the Republic anytime. If we're quick about it, the Kingdom will not have lasted longer then the Republic of United Provinces.
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• more duck than donald...(what a surprise)

laz,

simply crying 'undemocratic' and 'unaccountable' without context is wholly worthless.
                      you've so far failed to provide anything to argue against, if you can't then fine, but at least admit it.

provost, yours i believe

Who says we need anything to fill the money-sucking void that are the monarchy?
                      see the reason i wouldn't argue with you in a thread about biochemistry, or whatever it is you do, is that it would expose my near total ignorance of the subject.

you could learn a lot from me.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Why don't you think heads of state should be elected and be held accountable through democratic means?

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                          Do you believe in universal suffrage Laz?
                          No.

Comment

• Seriously, folks- we could get a pool together on how many times C0ckney ducks a very straight question. Any takers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                              I can't come up with an argument.
                              fixed.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• seriously, you're the one who wants to change the status quo, so it's your arguement to make. it's hardly a difficult concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X