No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mental image of Dvid Attenborough will always be of him prophecying of Zimbabwe's great future in them mid-'80s.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
      i mean seriously what's there to say?

that it's a rubbish idea that wouldn't get taken seriously by anyone, anywhere. great debate, really got a lot out it.

Remember the BBC's "Greatest Briton" poll?

How many living Britons can you name who came higher in that poll than David Attenborough?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
        My mental image of Dvid Attenborough will always be of him prophecying of Zimbabwe's great future in them mid-'80s.
        Who didn't? At the time, Zimbabwe was the bread basket of Africa, and Mugabe hadn't gone barking mad.

Comment

Blue Peter went on a summer expedition there. Ah, the good old days.

Comment

Oh look! There's Brunel.

He'd have made a great head of state. Instead we got lumped with the dumpy little pot-smoking nympho, Victoria.

Comment

If Brunel had ever become head of state, by 1870 Britain would have been bankrupt, but the new national capital would have been a small city on Mars.

Comment

i'm sure there's a point here, somewhere

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                Remember the BBC's "Greatest Briton" poll?

How many living Britons can you name who came higher in that poll than David Attenborough?
                and...err...so what?
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Aha. I'm glad you asked me that.

It was a public vote, you see. So, not only is he immensely respected on an international level and established as a highly experienced executive manager, but the public think he's great too.

Remind me again why this is a bad idea?

Comment

Elizabeth II got there first is one.

The fact that it's being proposed by a political novice on the basis of a friggin' internet poll makes two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                      Aha. I'm glad you asked me that.

It was a public vote, you see. So, not only is he immensely respected on an international level and established as a highly experienced executive manager, but the public think he's great too.

Remind me again why this is a bad idea?
                      maybe we should crown that geordie bloke that won big brother, a lot of people voted for him afterall
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• If he can go on to become a senior manager of a major media channel, change our perception of the media of television through designing groundbreaking programmes that influence many other film-makers, and become recognised and respected on an international scale, I'll agree.

However I wouldn't put money on that happening. Would you?

Comment

• Anyway, I digress. Remind me why it's a bad idea to have the public voting and/or selecting people on a basis other than whom their parents are.

Comment

• Because then the winner might get ideas about using the powers that the monarch doesn't dare.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• We have to do an awful lot of reminding you, don't we, Lazarus and the Gimp.

I would remind you of post #15 of this thread in which I already explained that, a post, I'll remind you, to which you already replied. Well sort of, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                                Because then the winner might get ideas about using the powers that the monarch doesn't dare.
                                Have you read the history of this country. Trust me, monarchs in the past had no qualms about using their power in the most abusive and nasty manner possible. The reason they don't use their powers now is because they don't have any...we managed to wrestle them off them...
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X