• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    Monarchy
    Traitor! GET THE ROPE!

Comment

Monarchy only gets you +1 happiness per military unit. Representation gets you +3 in your 3 biggest cities with bonus beakers to boot.

Republic > Monarchy
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In Canada there are no military units in the major cities, but we have the happy faces.

Explain that.

Shut up, Laz
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

But representation will like give you 3 happy faces in like all of your cities!!
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Propaganda from Jacobins.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
              But think about little prince Christian whatshisname, he will never have a normal life. What if he wants to be a policeman when he grows up? Well he can't, because the law says he's gonna be king.
              Well, consider the perks that come with the job. He'd have to work as a policeman, and an extremely good one, for 35,000 years to get the same amount of free travel, fast cars and hot females that he will in the life that's now laid out for him.

And roman numerals after his name, which I'm told is something very few police constables will ever achieve.

Sacrifice him? Sure! He'll just have to shut up and do as he's told. Too little of that around anyway for the young generation of today.

Comment

I can't quite decide whether Winston's or Laz's attitude annoys me more.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Winston,
                  So, what it boils down to is that you want to keep a system that is unfair, both for the little prince and for the rest of the population.

This is like, a huge moral dilemma and ****. So what if 90% of the population wants to keep the monarchy, if the royal family feels like it is prisoner (a luxurious prison though) to the people's will.

I'm starting to think that the way they do it in Germany, where a "Bundesversammling" comprised of the parliament and regional figures appoints some anonymus dufus, is the best option for all.
                  CSPA

Comment

Monarchy

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    Do I spot yet another royals thread?
                    Monarchy with breasts

Meh. I want to be King
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Jeez Louise, if an heir really doesn't want to take his place in the line of ascent, of course something would be worked out to accomodate him or her, and the next person would step up.

Even if a dispute or a matter of advanced age should arise afterwards, Monarchs have been known to step down of their own accord, you know. See Edward VIII, Juliana of the Netherlands etc., etc. I could easily picture Prince Charles passing on the bid to his son if another 15-20 years should go by before a successor to Elizabeth II has to be found. Nobody would mind too much, and they'd certainly have no say in it.

Comment

Monarchies in liberal democracies today are copouts. Rather have a real Monarchy, or none at all.

As well, having a Head of State position seperate from the prime executive position (Prime Minister et al) is stupid. Why the PRH shouldn't the man in charge of the nation actually represent the nation?
                        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Well, having some dufus - a monarch or a German-style president - for ceremonial duties frees up the prime minister/grand vezir/whatever for more real work.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I think the US already has something like that going with the President and the Vice President.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Wait, which one's the dufus?

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                                I can't quite decide whether Winston's or Laz's attitude annoys me more.
                                Choose mine. You know full well I'll take that as a challenge and try annoying you even more just for the hell of it.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X