Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Winston
    Sacrifice him? Sure! He'll just have to shut up and do as he's told. Too little of that around anyway for the young generation of today.
    That's sick. A prison of gold and silk is still a prison.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Well, I did exaggerate the point of compulsory succession a bit, as can be seen from my next post.

Comment

*yawn*

Originally posted by C0ckney
        the problem that republicans have in this country is that they need to do two things.

firstly - to convince people that keeping the monarchy is bad for britain, and;

secondly - to come up with something better.

so far they have failed miserably to do either.
        laz's reply reminds me EXACTLY why i posted that.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Though not to the extent of actually coming up with some sort of debate on the subject, it seems.

You've got a proposed system that uses a hugely respected public figure with a great track record in management as an interim measure in the transitional period. Then you get a solution that is both democratic and largely self-funding, and rewards those with track records in local representation.

Now explain to me why sticking with the entirely undemocratic process of supporting the inbreeds of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is preferable.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
            You really, really, really need to get laid.
            Bit of a lame comeback...
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I was aiming for factual accuracy rather than artistic impression.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Are the facts of Winston's sex life public knowledge?
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

For the sake of the public, I should hope not.

Comment

jog on

laz, so you want a serious debate on making david attenborough our head of state. good luck with that etc.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

i mean seriously what's there to say?

that it's a rubbish idea that wouldn't get taken seriously by anyone, anywhere. great debate, really got a lot out it.

Comment

Vote Vince278 for King!
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Monarchy; It's the only sure way to protect the people from themselves.
                          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Lets not forget Cromwell's republic.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                              Lets not forget Cromwell's republic.
                              Indeed, by not going the distance and declaring himself King he allowed himself to be invfluenced by the people, and thus, proceeded to teach those Royalists in Ireland a thing or two.
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                                i mean seriously what's there to say?

that it's a rubbish idea that wouldn't get taken seriously by anyone, anywhere. great debate, really got a lot out it.
                                What do you mean? David Attenborough for King
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X