No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the decider. If that young lady weren't "regal" she could whip those baps out, hoist them up, and start licking them without starting a constitutional crisis. Royalty is the only thing stopping that from happening.

I think you'll find that's a fact.

Somewhere.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: Sweden, I must say I can't wait until gravity will take its inevitable toll (ha!), and maybe a bit of maturity and sense of proper conduct will set in. Although that's probably too much to hope for in her case. Maybe she could get a shoe-in at MTV?

Now Crown Princess Victoria, there's a fine and responsible young heir.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Isn't this an English forum?
        forelock-tugging obsequiousness

ob·se·qui·ous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-skw-s, b-)
        adj.
        Full of or exhibiting servile compliance; fawning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        [Middle English, from Latin obsequisus, from obsequium, compliance, from obsequ, to comply : ob-, to; see ob- + sequ, to follow; see sekw-1 in Indo-European Roots.]
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ob·sequi·ous·ly adv.
        ob·sequi·ous·ness n.
        forelock

n 1: a lock of hair growing (or falling) over the forehead
        Never lose sight of the fact that, as far as the English language is concerned, I'm a black belt.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

You're certainly obsequiousnessless toward others, I'll give you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
            Oh, here we go. "Forget about democratic representation! Look! Titties!".
            Spare me your idealism.
            Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
            Here's the decider. If that young lady weren't "regal" she could whip those baps out, hoist them up, and start licking them without starting a constitutional crisis. Royalty is the only thing stopping that from happening.
            Mods, can you change my vote from "living a monarchy wants republic" to "living in a monarchy, wants to stay that way"?
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

[John Wayne Mode (from The Conqueror)]

Something in my Mongol blood tells me I must have this Tartar woman.

[/John Wayne Mode]
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                There are two practical differences.

1) In a Monarchy, you get a head of state for all of the populace, elevated beyond petty political divisions, to act - with the rest of the family - as an inspiration and a guidance to a significant number of people

2) You get consistency in the highest representative function of the state - unparalleled by any other system of governance. In our case, at present our Crown Prince has had 37 years of preparing for the job, taking clues from his mother, developing his own way of managing things, acquainting himself with the country's history, political life, sciences and industry - and forming relations and friendships with prominent people here and throughout the rest of the world. A Monarch is, in most cases, without comparison better schooled for the position of heading a nation, than an elected politician could ever be.

We've only had 3 different heads of state since 1912, each one under the natural influence of his or her predecessor, but at the same time forming and developing their position in their own personal way, to meet the demands and expectations of the changing society. I can't imagine anything more appropriate.
                That is all well and good.

But think about little prince Christian whatshisname, he will never have a normal life. What if he wants to be a policeman when he grows up? Well he can't, because the law says he's gonna be king.

Everytime he does something stupid it will be plastered all over the tabloids. At least a president is a celebrity by choice.

Are you willing to sacrifice this child in order to keep the tradition alive?
                CSPA

Comment

Please, the thread title should be 'Hereditary Rule or Representation' now
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I like Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada. Her heirs and successors can go stuff themselves. However, I'd prefer for the Governor General to be appointed by the Prime Minister than elected in a pointless popularity contest. The last thing we need are Governor Generals that think they have a mandate.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

the problem that republicans have in this country is that they need to do two things.

firstly - to convince people that keeping the monarchy is bad for britain, and;

secondly - to come up with something better.

so far they have failed miserably to do either.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Who says we need anything to fill the money-sucking void that are the monarchy?
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

anyone who knows anything about the constitutional arrangements of this country for a start...
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                            I like Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada. Her heirs and successors can go stuff themselves. However, I'd prefer for the Governor General to be appointed by the Prime Minister than elected in a pointless popularity contest. The last thing we need are Governor Generals that think they have a mandate.
                            That's essentially how it is now.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Indeed.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Monarchy
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X