I saw Brokeback Mountain tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daz
    Actually, when I think about it, there should not be an "another" in my question.

So I rephrase: Is it a "oh, those poor misunderstood gay people" movie" or is it deeper?

I don't understand your "oh, those poor misunderstood gay people" comment.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

Asher was just being immature with his sophomorish bathroom humor, but yeah, if we take that question seriously though, I agree with Molly -- why would it be important??

Comment

Just curious Daz -- do you depcriate the civil rights movement of blacks that happened during the 50s and 60s in United States with an obtuse, "oh those poor misunderstood blacks" comment??

If a gay-oriented film deals with such profound issues as discrimination, alienation, ostracization, and so forth, I don't see how it can be seen as "oh those poor misunderstood gays" unless one is obtuse and hopelessly insensitive when it comes to real life issues that minority group members deal with.

Comment

but aren't we already passed that point? gays already have equal rights. Yeah I don't live in placed like Oklahoma, so I can't say how it is there. But gays are widely accepted in my city. So I don't want to hear any whining about how bad they have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            gays already have equal rights.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Are you happy now, Mr Thread Policeman?
              Interesting that Mr. Incoherent Stream of Consciousness would call you on this one.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                Just curious Daz -- do you depcriate the civil rights movement of blacks that happened during the 50s and 60s in United States with an obtuse, "oh those poor misunderstood blacks" comment??

If a gay-oriented film deals with such profound issues as discrimination, alienation, ostracization, and so forth, I don't see how it can be seen as "oh those poor misunderstood gays" unless one is obtuse and hopelessly insensitive when it comes to real life issues that minority group members deal with.
                I actually didnt mean it like that. I just think that gay people should not be treated like an endangered species. So, a movie about them being "discriminated, alienized, ostracized and so forth..." is really missing a point, unless there's something else the director wanted to say.

And thats what I wanted to know. If it was a movie about a whale I would probably ask if it was a "oh, those poor whales" movie.

So, dont get on your hind legs right away....

Comment

It's important for Daz to know whether this is primarily a "movie with a political message" or a movie about universal truths that almost anyone can relate to regardless of their political affiliations or sexual orientations. Typically a lot of movies which include "controversial" subjects are handcuffed by the timidity of the studios etc., and end up treating the controversial subject matter in a stereotypical manner, or almost as bad in an unrealistic didactic manner (see, gays don't really want to molest your son they are all simply wonderful people who are misunderstood and are horribly murdered for it). Molly rightly complains that gays are rarely treated realistically in film, to which I'd add a long list of other groups who suffer similarly.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Thank you, for clarifying, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz

I actually didnt mean it like that. I just think that gay people should not be treated like an endangered species. So, a movie about them being "discriminated, alienized, ostracized and so forth..." is really missing a point, unless there's something else the director wanted to say.

And thats what I wanted to know. If it was a movie about a whale I would probably ask if it was a "oh, those poor whales" movie.

The original writer of the short story did have a message -- a story about unfulfilled love that can appeal to just about anyone regardless of sexual orientation or whether or not you're purple with yellow polka dots for your complexion.

But with that all-encompassing, universal message, the two central characters in the story, and in the film version, deal with social alienation and tension while struggling with their relationship.

It's one of the more realistic portrayals of gay men I have seen in quite some time in movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

And ?

Not as pointless as some of your other posts in other threads, but it does at least have the solitary merit of being succinct.

Are you happy now, Mr Thread Policeman?
                        Gay as a daffodil, thanks. I don't notice me 'policing' any threads, but thanks for that input too.

I simply wondered why you'd bother to quote me in your post whilst referring to a totally different thread about a completely different art form and subject.

One might have thought that you were perhaps slyly suggesting that I was contradicting myself; I wasn't.

If anything, I was trying to get from Winston why he found it so important to keep on about the two men's sexuality (and indeed gay sexuality in general) as a reason not to want to see the film.

The heterosexuality explicit in 'Romeo and Juliet', 'Madame Bovary' 'Anna Karenina' and 'From Here To Eternity' and 'Don't Look Now' does not seem to me to provide a reason for anyone not to want to watch or read those films, plays or novels.

It seems to me a little trite and disingenuous to reduce the film (which he hasn't seen) and the novella (which I doubt on this evidence he's read) to 'gay people's personal problems'.
                        Last edited by molly bloom; January 26, 2006, 06:50.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Interesting that Mr. Incoherent Stream of Consciousness would call you on this one.

As I recall from your badly thought out and researched posts in other threads, you're the one with difficulty getting his ideas to cohere.

Still, always amusing to see you attempting a little insult- must compensate you for your lack of anything substantive to say, hmm ?

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

So what you're proposing is, everybody must go see this movie even if they're not the least bit interested? Should we buy the movie poster too, and have it framed above computer screen?

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                              So what you're proposing is, everybody must go see this movie even if they're not the least bit interested? Should we buy the movie poster too, and have it framed above computer screen?

I'm not proposing that at all; in fact, I can see no mention of compelling people to view the film or read the novella in my posts.

Red herrings a part of your diet now ?

Comment

Herring

No, it's just that you seemed to complain an awful lot about some people, such as my humble self, not feeling like acquainting themselves with this film.

Comment

Working...
                                X