I saw Brokeback Mountain tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Brokeback Mountain tonight.

I loved the film -- it's a moving story about two men who lead unfulfilled lives in an unjust world, and because one of them had less courage than the other (not trashing this guy -- I understand his fear but don't agree with it).

The film was a provacative, emotional viewing experience for me. Makes me think how many of us today, in this world, live our lives without fully realizing the real happiness we could have.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

What kind of nudity are we talking?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

A quick penis shot and a few breasts.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
        A quick penis shot and a few breasts.
        On the same person ?

Isn't that 'Hedwig & The Angry Inch' or 'The Crying Game' ?
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I won't be seeing Brokeback Mountain tonight.

It's too cold out, I'll be staying in. Besides, the volume is way too high in theatres these days, and I'm not interested enough to pay for investigating gay people's personal problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

... and I'm not interested enough to pay for investigating gay people's personal problems.

For the same reasons I haven't watched the avowedly heterosexist 'Fanny and Alexander', 'Effi Briest', 'The Best Intentions' , the religionista fest 'Babette's Feast', et cetera....

'Gay people's personal problems' ?

I expected better from a Dane.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You really shouldn't.

If I'm going to watch a cowboy movie, I want them to shoot straight, aim high and occasionally fool around with proper ladies wearing 1880's lingerie.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                You really shouldn't.

If I'm going to watch a cowboy movie, I want them to shoot straight, aim high and occasionally fool around with proper ladies wearing 1880's lingerie.

Uh, right- like this one ?

Or the John Wayne cowboy flick 'Red River', where six-shooters are phallic playthings and John Ireland says to Montgomery Clift, "There are only two things more beautiful than a good gun: a Swiss watch, or a woman from anywhere. You ever had a Swiss watch?"
                The men lovingly handle and swap each other's weapons...

Love this part of the plot synopsis:

Friction rises when Montgomery Clift, Wayne's adopted son, rebels against his iron-fisted manner and wants to lead the drive his own way.

You must have loved this Jane Russell film :

... 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes', where she bumps and grinds her way through the song "Ain't There Anyone Here for Love?" to an onscreen audience of completely indifferent, well-oiled Charles Atlas bodybuilders using a gym the way Busby Berkley chorus girls would use a dance floor.

But seriously- it's not a film about gay people's 'personal problems' any more than 'Madame Bovary' or 'Jules et Jim' are about heterosexual people's 'personal' problems.

'Oh young man, do let me feel your shooter!'
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                  But seriously- it's not a film about gay people's 'personal problems' any more than 'Madame Bovary' or 'Jules et Jim' are about heterosexual people's 'personal' problems.
                  Really? Well, I'll stick with my intuition and let stand my comments, intended to slightly mock MrFun's very MrFun-like OP.

Comment

Isn't this just 1982's Making Love, but with cowboys?
                    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

John Wayne, which you mentioned, of course gets the last word, the way it should be.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                        Isn't this just 1982's Making Love, but with cowboys?

'Making Love' chickened out though.

Think of this as America's 'My Beautiful Laundrette'....

Really?
                        Winnie Bagel

Yes, really. I don't think I've ever sat down and watched a film or read a novel and thought,

'Oh how dreary. No big gay homos of Irish descent born in the U.K. in this. I simply can't identify with it.'

I wouldn't have got very far in Eng. Lit or European Lit. with that kind of atti-tood, dude.

Re:Joyce!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Some things you give a damn about, others, like gay dramas playing in the theatre in perfect accordance with the mainstream ephemeral interest in these matters, you browse over.

Next could well be a feature documentary on the troubles of suffering from breast cancer. Maybe it's too cold out for me to go then as well.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Yes, really. I don't think I've ever sat down and watched a film or read a novel and thought,

'Oh how dreary. No big gay homos of Irish descent born in the U.K. in this. I simply can't identify with it.'

I wouldn't have got very far in Eng. Lit or European Lit. with that kind of atti-tood, dude.

Re:Joyce!
                            You mentioned in another thread paintings that took place or look like where you were born.

This post reminded my that Bernard Malamud's "The Assistant" took place a few blocks from where I grew up. Though about 30 or 40 years earlier, of course.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

can we tell in the sex scenes who is top and who is bottom?

or are the sex scenes "neutral"
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X