New study shows college students lack common skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Odin

Elected school boards = schools worrying about angering parents by giving too many kids bad grades = dumbed down K-12

College departments making professors give "how well did you like this class" questionares at the end of the semester does the same thing because students that did poorly will give the Prof bad marks.

Sure, there's always the danger of that, but in my experience it's the other way around.
    Over here a professor is appointed and he can't be fired unless he's done some criminal offense or something alike.

However, some people just can't teach no matter their intellect. It just so happens that we have several of those teaching classes that are absolutely useless... I'd say they're absolute crap. If these questionaires would be evaluated properly, and some professors would be replaced, then perhaps we'd get better education. Honestly... I'm going to uni to learn something in class. I could take a good book and read that instead too you see...
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs

Sure, there's always the danger of that, but in my experience it's the other way around.
      Over here a professor is appointed and he can't be fired unless he's done some criminal offense or something alike.

However, some people just can't teach no matter their intellect. It just so happens that we have several of those teaching classes that are absolutely useless... I'd say they're absolute crap. If these questionaires would be evaluated properly, and some professors would be replaced, then perhaps we'd get better education. Honestly... I'm going to uni to learn something in class. I could take a good book and read that instead too you see...
      Well its been my experience that the professors that are god awful at teaching are also the ones that are most regarded for their research.
      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Elected school boards = schools worrying about angering parents by giving too many kids bad grades = dumbed down K-12

College departments making professors give "how well did you like this class" questionares at the end of the semester does the same thing because students that did poorly will give the Prof bad marks.
        I might be wrong, but I think his point was that an HS diploma 50 years ago was good enough to live comfortably and not a negative indicator. Today, its much less likely for someone with just a HS diploma or GED to have a similar lifestyle. Now the BA is becoming close to a minimum level of education.

When you have directional schools and community colleges everywhere, serving tens or hundreds of thousands (millions?) of students a year who decades ago would not have been in college due to aptitude issues, not monetary, then what do you expect?

My wife is a 4th year grad student at Indiana University, and she has taught freshmen. Horror stories. And this is at a top tier US institution. Yikes.

Comment

from understanding credit card offers
          Most people don't understand them as well.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
            I might be wrong, but I think his point was that an HS diploma 50 years ago was good enough to live comfortably and not a negative indicator. Today, its much less likely for someone with just a HS diploma or GED to have a similar lifestyle. Now the BA is becoming close to a minimum level of education.

When you have directional schools and community colleges everywhere, serving tens or hundreds of thousands (millions?) of students a year who decades ago would not have been in college due to aptitude issues, not monetary, then what do you expect?

My wife is a 4th year grad student at Indiana University, and she has taught freshmen. Horror stories. And this is at a top tier US institution. Yikes.
            Bingo.

Thanks asleep . I realize that I was typing so fast in my previous statement, I forgot the 'ago'. Hopefully that wasn't what caused the confusion.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It seems that its a universal rule that people of ALL countries think that their country's educational system is below par. For example one of the parents of my old students was trying to get her son to stay with her uncle in DC for a while, just so he could get a better education at the public schools there

Same goes for college. Due to immigration tightening after 9/11 its gone down a bit, but you still get a HUGE number of people from all kinds of places trying to get their kids into American schools, which despite articles of this kind are still definately the best in the world over all, definately better than anything you'd get in South Korea or Japan...
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

In my opinion Korean culture makes a real American style university all but impossible.

Oh and Bosh about the summer thing, if I get the job I want I'll be full-time and probably won't have time for your reading and writing stuff but if I don't get it I'll consider it as a fall-back position.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

*yawn* tell me something new. I've seen people like that at my university.

Its sad

btw Aquatic Ape

Who is Barinthus?

Comment

All you have to do is take a look at how many iBooks and PowerBooks there are in the arts/social sciences departments to understand that they lack common skills, such as making intelligent purchases.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                      Spelling mistskes are inexcusable...
                      Right on
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Bosh, I think that wasn't the point. Good schools != good material.

What you have is weak material problem, problem which isn't simple and has many sources (of problem).

Those who want to succeed and study will do so. Those who don't, won't. Seems to me most don't. It doesn't matter what school they go to, except that it's shame for that school won't challenge them enough to drop out.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Arts students This never happens with those who do science/numerate disciplies...
                          The article doesn't even distinguish between arts students and science students, silly.
                          Last edited by Ecthy; January 22, 2006, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Arts students This never happens with those who do science/numerate disciplies...
                            But the latter are so smelly and unattractive that evolution does not select for them.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

None of this surprises me.

Because of our new right wing overlords, colleges are compelled to treat students as customers instead of students.

Education would be better served if we simply abolished fees and gave the faculty back the power to fail people who don't work or who should really be somewhere else. It would also be better served if students didn't have to work 20+ hours a week to make ends meet instead of studying.

U of T isn't that bad because it tends not to admit the real dunderheads, but smaller colleges have a terrible time of it.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Education would be better served if we simply abolished fees and gave the faculty back the power to fail people who don't work or who should really be somewhere else. It would also be better served if students didn't have to work 20+ hours a week to make ends meet instead of studying.

Comment

Working...
                                X