• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University students offered a B- to drop course

University students offered a B-minus to drop course
    Last Updated Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:20:01 EST
    CBC News

A University of Prince Edward Island lecturer makes no excuses for offering students a 70 to not show up for his course. But the administration gives his deal a failing grade.

David Weale said he made the offer because the class is too big and some students aren't interested in being there.
    David Weale believes his class is too big

About 20 – out of a class of nearly 100 – took him up on it, he said.

The course is in the history of Christianity.

Weale, a retired professor who came back as a sessional lecturer, said he originally offered students a 68 to go away. "But they negotiated with me and got it up to 70," he said before his class on Thursday night.

A 70 is a B-minus at UPEI.

Weale is more than just a lecturer. He's an author, storyteller and actor and consistently one of the more popular teachers on campus. His knack for teaching island history while using local phrases and tales means his courses were always packed.

He argued that cutting the size of the class is good for everyone. "It was uncomfortably large and a lot of the people who have taken the deal didn't want to be in the class anyway. They weren't going to learn very much."

There's nothing unusual about his offer, he said. "Happens all the time. I'm just upfront with it."

Weale had only one assignment for the dropouts: walk to the registrar's office and pay for the course.

The fee? "Over $400, close to $500," he said. "They're not doing something for nothing."

The university has vetoed the idea, however.
    Phillip MacIsaac didn't take the deal

"There won't be a free pass," said Dean of Arts Richard Kurial on Friday. "This university prides itself on teaching excellence. We've won many awards and this is an aberration."

Many of Weale's students don't seem to mind if others get a university credit without the work.

"I enjoy his class," Philip MacIsaac said. "I think he's free to do what he wants to do, and I'd like to see more freestyle proffing, as such."

"I guess it's up to the student whether they want to go to the class or not," Gillian Lenentine added.

Laura Deighan said she'll continue with the course because she wants a better grade than 70.

Weale has been ordered to make the dropouts return and earn their grade with more than a receipt from the registrar.
    the esteemed prof:

PEI
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

PEI
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

PEI
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

PEI
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

****ing nazi's at college of dupage where I went for a few semesters back a few years ago would have just dropped me, refunded my money for the class and sent me a notice informing me of their decision...

that's pretty sweet you can actually buy a grade... I don't think that's a good policy though
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

PEI

Comment

Only in PEI...
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

In a way that's total bull, in a way that's brilliant.

Total bull, because people can graduate with BS degrees never even getting through the courses and compete with me in the same level. That's not fair.

Brilliant in a way, that if I was in the class, and it was always packed, and you had a way of getting it half full/empty...you know .. goodbye.. home to sleep.. better class for me now.

On the other hand, it's also good because this is the testament for our society of average. You know, you want to be aveage? Go on, go home and sleep. No one cares.

This is the test for people why they are there. Are they here to learn, to develop themselves, do they want to do it, or what's up? Most seem to just want to buy the degree.

What ever. I have no respect for people like that, lazy, not even trying to accomplish anything when they have the opportunity, the best opportunities in this world comparing to other peers around the world, and what do they do? They do this. They deserve the mediocrity in their lives.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Who the **** cares? It's Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                    Who the **** cares? It's Christianity.
                    I agree.. it it was about Wicca at least there would be naked pics of nubile women to look at.... and the lectures would be full of those promiscuous chicks who like that occult crap.

Win win situation...
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

"This university prides itself on teaching excellence. We've won many awards and this is an aberration."
                      And a 70's a B-
                      What a joke.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I vote for Wicca
                        Attached Files
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

yeah, a 70's a first (i.e. an A grade) at any university in my country!

Comment

In other news.... computer science students offered an A- to wear deodorant.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

And a 70's a B-
                              What a joke.
                              And? 70 was a B where I came from...

85+ = A
                              80-84 = A-
                              75-79 = B+
                              70-74 = B
                              65-69 = B-
                              60-64 = C+