So when do we invade Iran?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denmark is expendable
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're only saying that because you hope your anglosaxon buddies will get the opportunity to take Hans Ø.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        Vince has simply said "yeah, I know", and then nothing else.
        Thats right. No comment.

Originally posted by GePap
        Saying you were in the military means nothing. I have an uncle who made it to Sergeant-Mayor.
        Sergeant-Mayor? Is that like Lt. Governor?

its incredible what documents, videos, and tapes can show in relation to the stories some people can tell.
        Riiiiight! There is also documentary evidence that UFOs exist, Jesus had a child, God is real, God is not real, ad nausem. Give everything, even your own beliefs, the same grain of salt that you take everyone else's opinions with.

In short, I am not one to simply accept other's statements of fact unless at the end of the day, they can back them up.
        How?
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo
          The US finished the war in the pacific without a ground invasion of Japan.
          An excellent point.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Destroyer
            Okay, here is a different question.

If the Iranians developed a nuclear capability, and sold this onto terrorists, who is to say the target would be America?

Islamic Terrorists have enemies in just about every country on the planet.

What would happen if they nuked Denmark? What would the response be? Denmark has no nuclear capability. What would the US resonse be?
            The US (under the current administration) would try to whip it's allies into responding with all out support on an effort to topple every potentially hostile party (ie excluding great powers) that could have possibly manufactured the nukes. It would see the act as an opportunity to implement the unfair ideals of the NPT by brute military force with the broad backing of the entire western world. I think armies in the millions would be the objective to allow for broad unlimited occupation and scouring of any suspected country.

There would also be massive investment world wide in radioactive substance detection and hugely thorough cargo searches until every last stray bomb were uncovered.

Comment

I think all bush would want to "accomplish" would be to make it a logistical impossibility for Iran to build nukes.
              It depends on how Iran is proceeding with it. For all we know their plan could have factored in hostile interventions, such as bombing raids.

Iran is not exactly an easy target, and there are other things it can do.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

It depends on how Iran is proceeding with it. For all we know their plan could have factored in hostile interventions, such as bombing raids.

Iran is not exactly an easy target, and there are other things it can do.
                I completely agree. There are no certainties of success regardless of what military approach would be used. Sadly the fact that Iran certainly knows this probably makes the likelihood of diplomacy failing and war breaking out much higher.

Comment

I countered that we did in fact have thousands of troops occupying the territory next door after having intervened against the serbs in that territory to end the war there. You then started posting about how we didn't have our army entrenched in hostile territory in bosnia because Americans were being killed in Iraq while the opposition in Bosnia wasn't killing americans. I guess this brings us back to your original point which I now need you to clarify. What exactly about our armed forces being in iraq makes an air campaign against Iran impossible that didn't make an air campaign against Serbia impossible when we had our forces occupying Bosnia?
                  Live in your little make believe world of semantics. Insisting ..."pffft... Iraq isn't hostile!" and then trying to argue "Bosnia was hostile!"

give it up. Bosnia was not hostile. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. There is an OBVIOUS difference, to even the most uneducated of current event watchers, between Bosnia and Iraq. If you can't see it, then it is pointless to take any respect for anything more you post on this subject.

For now I'm discussing what military options the US administration might be mulling and I find myself convinced they would go for a massive air campaign long before contemplating a ground invasion of Iran with another occupation to follow it.
                  Occupation? Probably not. Ground war, inevitable.
                  Pentagenesis for Civ III
                  Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                  Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

• Originally posted by NeOmega

Live in your little make believe world of semantics. Insisting ..."pffft... Iraq isn't hostile!" and then trying to argue "Bosnia was hostile!"

give it up. Bosnia was not hostile. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. There is an OBVIOUS difference, to even the most uneducated of current event watchers, between Bosnia and Iraq. If you can't see it, then it is pointless to take any respect for anything more you post on this subject.
                    I asked how this difference mattered. I originally interpreted your reference to "hostile" territory to mean an occupation in a territory next to the theatre of planned conflict where military opposition friendly to the enemy was present. It seemed obvious that in Serbia just such situation existed. Now it appears by hostile you mean a place where american soldiers are getting killed or wounded. Then certainly there is a difference, and I'm not claiming to not see it. Instead I'm asking you given such a difference how does it effect the feasibility of a prolonged air campaign against Iran?

Originally posted by NeOmega
                    Occupation? Probably not. Ground war, inevitable.
                    And if you have intended that a ground invasion of Iran is not inevitable then I'm not sure we really have much ground to debate. I have said all along that a ground invasion of Iran would be vastly less attractive to the Bush administration than a prolonged air assault. I also said in my opening post that I expect that Iran might respond with an attempt to invade the iraq and later suggested this could be far more ruinous to Iran's ground forces than a US invasion/occupation of Iran would be. Where exactly do you disagree?

Comment

• the point is, and where everything ties together is:

A bombing campaign alone is not an option. It would cause reactions, that would lead to an inevitable ground war, because American troops are right there.... and in a vulnerable position.

Iraq is hostile, not only in the sense of the insurgency, but in the sense that the shiites could very well rise up against America as well, both in terms of actual armed resistance, and by giving intelligence and aid to the inevitable Iranian counter-attack. This is what makes Iraq hostile. The shiite south is a hornets nest, calm right now, but a bombing campaign against Iran would definitely be the metaphorical rock.

The neocons expected a much greater deal of support from the Iraqis. They have gotten complacency, but Iraq is hardly a solid base to defend from.

So would America actually attempt a ground offensive? I don't know. Either way, defensive or offensive, they would have nowhere to hide, nowhere to restock.
                      Pentagenesis for Civ III
                      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

• So would America actually attempt a ground offensive? I don't know. Either way, defensive or offensive, they would have nowhere to hide, nowhere to restock.
                        You've got the sea. A naval invasion must be tempting option for military planners, if only for propaganda purposes. Afghanistan and Iraq didn't give the USN a chance to really let rip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278
                          Riiiiight! There is also documentary evidence that UFOs exist, Jesus had a child, God is real, God is not real, ad nausem. Give everything, even your own beliefs, the same grain of salt that you take everyone else's opinions with.
                          If the discussion is the quality of Saudi Arabia's air defenses, you can use a variety of web sources, including articles from military and defense themed sites, or you can use simple and publicly available fatcs, like what systems have been purchased, or the amount of money being spent, period.

You know, the way you make an arguement, as opposed to just stating an opinion.

How?
                          Re: look above.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandman
                            You've got the sea. A naval invasion must be tempting option for military planners, if only for propaganda purposes. Afghanistan and Iraq didn't give the USN a chance to really let rip.
                            That would be madness.
                            Pentagenesis for Civ III
                            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

• I realize I'm getting into this one pretty late, and I've not read the entire thread. Has anyone dealt with the theory that Iran is looking for a war with the US? This has surfaced a number of times lately in Canadian coverage of the issue. Today I see that Iran has rejected the Russian proposal to refine Iran's uranium on it's territory.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• I haven't seen it, but it does seem Iran is trying to goad the US into war.

And why not, at any other time, America could beat teh crap out of Iran without much loss, but with our army next door, this is one of the few chances Iran has at really defeating the United States.

I am sure Iran hopes to have nukes before America leaves Iraq.
                                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X