Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PowerBook is dead; MacBook Pro is here (Intel-based)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerBook is dead; MacBook Pro is here (Intel-based)

FROM MACWORLD Steve Jobs is fond of saving the best for last, and Macworld 2006 was no exception. In true Jobsonian fashion, he announced “One more thing:” an Intel based replacement fo…

'Screaming' Intel Mac Laptop Debuts
    By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
    January 10, 2006, 1:56 PM

FROM MACWORLD Steve Jobs is fond of saving the best for last, and Macworld 2006 was no exception. In true Jobsonian fashion, he announced "One more thing:" an Intel based replacement for the PowerBook called the MacBook Pro, initially available in a 15.4-inch configuration.

Jobs explained that Apple did everything possible to cram a G5 processor into a PowerBook, but failed as heat dissipation issues have plagued the G5 chips and prevented their use in laptop systems. The broken promises to consumers of a G5 notebook have been cited as one of the primary reasons for the Intel switch.

Running on Intel's Core Duo processor, the MacBook Pro systems will operate at four to five times the speed of today's models. "These things are screamers," Jobs said, adding these are the fastest notebooks available on the market.

The model demoed includes a 15.4-inch LCD screen that Apple says is as bright as its Cinema Displays. Two speeds will be offered, a 1.67GHz Core Duo chip version with built-in iSight camera, Front Row, 667MHz DDR bus, 80GB hard drive, and 512MB of RAM for $1,999 USD.

A higher-end model with a 1.83GHz Core Duo chip, 1GB of RAM and a 100GB hard drive would be made available for $2,499 USD Other features include a FireWire 400 port, two USB 2.0 ports, built in Wireless-G and Bluetooth, and the Apple Remote with Front Row software.

In order to help prevent tripping over power cables and throwing laptops to the floor, Apple has developed a new feature for the MacBook Pro called "MagSafe." In the new laptops, the power cable connects using magnets and will smoothly disconnect with minimal pressure.

The MacBook Pro will begin shipping in February, but Apple is taking orders starting today through its online store. "If you want one I suggest you get your order in early," Jobs quipped.
    Apple link with pictures: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

For some reason, when I read this news on another forum, the first thing I think of is poly.....

Comment

Going to save my pennies

Bit stingy on RAM but Apple has always done that and it hasn't affected their systems too badly. Graphics card is *finally* a decent model .
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

iMac is going Intel-based, too.

Comment

So what if it's Intel-based? It's still a stinking piece of Apple ****.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

If it's Intel based, you can load Windows on it.

Comment

It's an Apple product => it's underpowered, and will be bought by alot of icky humanist types. I'm gonna keep my distance.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  If it's Intel based, you can load Windows on it.
                  Also, if it's intel based could you not load the Mac OS onto a PC?
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No, well at least not "legally". Apple is using hardware-based security to try to force MacOS only to be loaded on Apple-made PCs.

Comment

Would they not implement the same hardware-based security to ensure that only the MacOS be loaded onto any Apple-made PC?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"MacBook" is an incredibly retarded name. Two hard 'k' sounds make it awkward to pronounce.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                          "MacBook" is an incredibly retarded name. Two hard 'k' sounds make it awkward to pronounce.
                          Bukake to you too.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Would they not implement the same hardware-based security to ensure that only the MacOS be loaded onto any Apple-made PC?
                            Because they think it's a feature, you can boot into Windows to play your games if you wanted, for instance. It removes one of the barriers of entry to owning a Mac.

It's not really the same thing, though. OS X's installer checks for certain hardware codes installed on a special security chip in Macs before it continues.

Windows will install on any x86 computer.

To prevent Windows from being installed, they'd need to do a lot of work and somehow accurately determine if Windows is being installed...that's a lot more difficult.

Comment

Ahh.

So now I can own an Intel-based laptop and only pay a 700$ premium for the privilege of running MacOS in a pretty white case?
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X