No announcement yet.

NHL Fantasy League - Game On - Episode VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now I wasn't exactly paying the most rapt attention, since I was more annoyed with the Habs lack of offense than trying to dissect the game, but I very much think Calgary had a trap system once the Habs got to the neutral zone.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• You are totally wrong, of course.

The problem was the Habs didn't do anything. They didn't show up to play. The score was closer than the game actually was.

And the Flames simply do not play a trap. They forecheck hard and play a physical, defensive game; but that's not what the trap is...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• "Most teams aren't playing a strict trap anymore, there are a lot of variations of it now," says Anaheim's Marty McInnis. "It seems the trapping teams now are using a bit more of a forecheck and aggressive style
        You sir, are the one who is wrong.

Learn what the trap is, then come back.

Comment

• Judging from the comments here and on the TSN.ca comments on the game, it seems as though Montreal fans have no idea how hockey is played.

Most of the posts say if it wasn't for Kipper Calgary would be in last place in the league (of course, 2 goals on 16 shots -- including a really weak goal, is sensational!). Others Blame the loss on Theodore -- boys, if you're being outshot 2:1, don't blame your goalie... Other blames Iginla for "diving 4 times".

And now I'm being told Calgary plays the trap.

I've watched every televised Calgary game (PPV included) all season, and I can safely say they do not play the trap. They play a hard forechecking game: 3 forwards deep in the opposing zone with the D-men hanging back (unless we're pushing for more goals, then the D-men come up).

That is not the trap.

To employ the trap, the defense places four of their players in the neutral zone and one forechecking in the offensive zone. As the offensive team starts to move up the ice, the forechecker (generally the center) will cut off passing lanes to other offensive players by staying in the middle of the ice, forcing the puck carrier to either sideboard.

The defensive wingers—typically placed on or near the red line—will be positioned by the boards to challenge the puck carrier, prevent passing, or even keep opponents from moving through. The two defensemen who are positioned on or near the blue lines are the last defense should the play move past the wingers and the center.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Calgary WAS flooding the Neutral Zone last night, as well as forechecking, which if you understood hockey, was a form of trap.

We used the trap in Montreal for years, and it was acknowledged by many experts to be a trap.

Really Asher, don't talk about things you don't understand. Calgary got a lead, and resorted to trapping. Simple. No shame in it.

Comment

• You're out of your mind.

They were not playing the trap. Look at the definition of the trap that I quoted...

You didn't even pay attention to the game, as you admitted.

Your team lost because they didn't show up to play. They don't have the grit and work ethic of Calgary, and the score (3-2) was closer than the game really was.

Calgary did not play the trap, as anyone who knows hockey who watched the game could tell you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                You're out of your mind.

They were not playing the trap. Look at the definition of the trap that I quoted...
                A little defensive of you eh?

Calgary gets the lead and plays boring trap hockey. Makes for terrible entertainment.

Comment

• I did pay attention. You were blinded by your fanboyism.

Comment

• The "Calgary plays the trap" argument works almost as well on you as the "Macs are better than PCs" argument. We can actually see the smoke coming out of your ears.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Wow...

This is basic stuff, Ninot. If Montreal played hockey, maybe they would win more. Apparently you guys don't know what it is.

I've never heard the Flames this season called a trap team except against fans of losing teams. The experts and commentators refer to it as a hard forechecking team...and that's because all 3 forewards are in the offensive zone forechecking, not just the centre.

If you look at tsn.ca's highlights of the games, for every goal there are at least 3 Flames deep in the offensive zone...if that's what you call trapping, you need to do some more research.

Calgary dumps the puck in the offensive zone, forechecks, and cycles when they play defensively. It eats up time and slows down the game, kind of like the trap, but it is not the trap...it's called forechecking. And if Montreal had some less-sissy more-gritty players, they could do it, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncha
                        The "Calgary plays the trap" argument works almost as well on you as the "Macs are better than PCs" argument. We can actually see the smoke coming out of your ears.
                        Both are clearly nonsense spouted by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Comment

• Here's an article from last season (after the finals) about the trap...

Farewell to the trap: the Lightning and the Flames played a physical and exciting series without utilizing the unpopular system
                          Hockey Digest, Sept-Oct, 2004 by John Kreiser

THE MOST ENDURING LEGACY of this year's playoffs might not be the Tampa Bay Lightning's victory against the Calgary Flames, but the style of play the two teams used to get to the championship round.

For the first time since the New Jersey Devils neutral zone-trapped their way to the Stanley Cup title in 1995, neither finalist relied on the system as its primary style of play. Instead, the Lightning used an attacking philosophy that emphasized speed, skill, and puck pursuit--preferring to aggressively force teams into mistakes rather than lay back and wait for a turnover.

"We tried to play that style all game, all year," center Brad Richards said. "We tried to play it all year, and there was never any doubt. We haven't changed it since the Olympic break in 2002. That shows the confidence we have in the system. It's aggressive. Guys are pinching. You get caught sometimes, but we live with it and as long as everyone is on the same page backchecking and trying to win every battle, we're very confident we can win with it--and we did."

The Flames don't bang back, either. With a group of fast, physical forwards, coach Darryl Sutter's team turned the dump and chase into crash and bash, throwing the puck into the zone and hitting every opponent in sight to generate offense. With only one big scorer (Jarome Iginla), the Flames used effort to make up for firepower.

Comment

• Huh - I'm actually getting tired of Asher vs. anyone hockey banter/arguments - they all seem to be the same.

Well, I've done my initial roster shopping for next week. I'll enjoy the freebie from Greg Johnson on Monday - it's not often you get a guaranteed goal*.

*Monday is the make-up Nsh/Det game (result of the Jiri Fischer incident) with the score and clock starting where they left off, including Johnson's 1st period goal.

Comment

• 1 last point. Asher, you do realise that if you watch Calgary goals, you won't see the trap cuz at no point do the goals take place in the neutral zone?

They're all the same Dejon, cuz someone comes up with a valid point, and Asher declares he is the only person in the world who understands hockey.

I'll let it be though. I had my fun making Asher steam. I'll have my fun tommorow night too, when the Habs play a team that doesnt resort to trap hockey.

Comment

• Calgary doesn't play the trap.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X