Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackCat, these pictures are completely unedited EXCEPT for "autobalance" at Photoeditor - in reality the colours were much more vivid then they turned out on the photos. It was something really spectacular.
    Attached Files
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

• Ar-Raqqa is a city of Harun ar-Rashid, or Shahrayar from the tale of 1001 nights, and of Abu Nuwas, the poet of wine, party and young boys. There are some Abbasid city walls, a qasr al-banat (castle or rather palace of girls - nice, but nothing astounding) and this, that is Baghdad gate.
      Attached Files
      Middle East!

Comment

• Ath-Thawra means "the Revolution". It is a completely new city built by the way of constructing the Asad Tame. This picture sums it up well. It may not seen nice, but it gets You the feel of some other face of Syria.
        Attached Files
        Middle East!

Comment

• Here is me in Tartus (Tortosa) being under attack by a bird. I don't know if He just disliked me, or thought my teddy crocodile was kind of a frog he could eat.
          Attached Files
          Middle East!

Comment

• Here is the crusaders' cathedral of Tortosa.
            Attached Files
            Middle East!

Comment

• a lot of relicts of crusaders' city neighbours new architecture in a weird, chaotic way
              Middle East!

Comment

• I liked the city anyway. Much better than Latakia.
                Attached Files
                Middle East!

Comment

• forgot to attach a pic
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Heresson; May 11, 2006, 16:28.
                  Middle East!

Comment

• 5000 year old city, today known as Tell Hariri (the Silk Hill, ironically it means also the hill of Hariri, the assasinated pm of Lebanon), is not much to look at. This is part of the royal palace, and it is not in a bad shape. It is at least covered. The rest of the city is falling apart, and it seems no-one cares. The rains form mini-valleys through the ancient walls, built of mud-brick I believe, and therefore fragile. It is not covered by anything, nothing, absolutely nothing is done to preserve it. After 20 years, I don't think anything will remain of it, not even holes in ground.

Oh, there are nice exposits from Mari in National Museum in Damascus
                    Attached Files
                    Middle East!

Comment

• Here is a poster encouraging people to boycott Danish products
                      Attached Files
                      Middle East!

Comment

• Being tourist in Syria, You're most likely to see children gathering around You. Sometimes they simply want some money, even just 6 syrian pounds. Very often, however, they want You to take a picture of them. It's not only children, but mostly. That's what "sawwirni, sawwirni" means. Later, if You hear "shawwifni sura" or sth like this, show him/them the photo. And, especially being a girl, You may be suprised by some complete stranger(s) asking You to let them take a picture with You.
                        Attached Files
                        Middle East!

Comment

• I've already been once in Krak, and I've posted the pictures. The general view of Krak wasn't mine, though, and I wanted to show a photo from the underground baths that I had to make for a second time as it was not clear last time.Also, You can see the courtyard with knights' hall on the left and a minbar (a place for telling sermons from) in the ex-church ex-mosque

here's the courtyard
                          Attached Files
                          Middle East!

Comment

• the minbar
                            Attached Files
                            Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
                              BlackCat, these pictures are completely unedited EXCEPT for "autobalance" at Photoeditor - in reality the colours were much more vivid then they turned out on the photos. It was something really spectacular.
                              Sorry, it wasn't meant as the pics was doctored in any way. They are really good and certainly gives ideas for future travels.

Although the duststorm pics looks like something worth experiencing, I guess that the locals isn't that glad when it happens.

Btw. you don't have to attack forgotten pics
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• the baths
                                Attached Files
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X