Dreaming of a (Secular) Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been a ongoing war against Christianity in general since the '50s

Ah the delusions of Christians. I love it! Yep, there is a 'war' against Christians... after all, we see churches bombed all the time .

Excuse other people for wanting to live by the Constitution of the US.

If there has been any "war against Christmas" its by the companies who have commericialized the holiday, stripping it of religious significance (then again, did it have any at all... it's a pagan holiday that was taken over).

Quite frankly, if any religions have a beef about having a 'war' declared against them in the US it is the Mormons and the Muslims.
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; December 28, 2005, 18:43.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Right now, in an alternate reality, US Christians right here in our borders are experiencing what a real War on Christianity is like, with actual killing and stuff. I bet they aren't whining about "Happy Holidays" and not being allowed to place nativity scenes at the local courthouse. Of course, we don't need to go to an alternate reality to see Christians being killed for being Christians. There are plenty of countries in this one where one can go to fight in a real War on Christianity.

So shut the **** up and quit whining about being oppressed.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Imran, there were Christians complaining about the commercialization of Christmas 200 years ago.

As for the issue at hand, everyone already is "living by the Constitution of the US." The definition of "establishment" is the requirement of church membership or approval for public office. It was the norm in several colonies, and has been abolished.

If you instead mean "living by a new meaning imparted by biased readers of the Constitution," then I do not "excuse" their desire to coopt the Constitution for their anti-religious agenda.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

@DRoseDARs

"Right now, in an alternate reality..."

When the interdimensional portal opens next and allows me to communicate my sympathy with these postulated persecuted pilgrims.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The definition of "establishment" is the requirement of church membership or approval for public office.

Yeah.. um... no it isn't. From early on in the Republic, people were concerned the government would favor one religion to the detriment of all others. That is what establishment meant and still means.

Though, speaking of biased readers of the Constitution, I think all these wackjob "War on Christianity" folks fit that mantle perfectly.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
              @DRoseDARs

"Right now, in an alternate reality..."

When the interdimensional portal opens next and allows me to communicate my sympathy with these postulated persecuted pilgrims.
              And as already stated in that post, one doesn't need to go to an alternate reality. While these "Christians"* piss themselves with anger and rage over people saying "Happy Holidays," there are Christians right here in other countries are being killed or otherwise for being Christian.

**** them and their pathetic, self-absorbed whining while their breathren die in real wars.

Then again, let them keep whining. The *Dominionists are all going to Hell anyway.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Originally posted by DinoDoc
                You of all people should know that the precedent on this subject is confused and unclear at best.

Nativity scenes in the public square, however, have been struck down for decades. The only leeway is if it is in the middle of a cheesy Holiday wonderland. I fail to see a 'War on Christmas' being ongoing since the 1950s.

The fact that arsehats have been "offended" by nativity scenes (and prayer, and all other reference to religion in the public sector) to the point of carrying a case all the way to SCOTUS shows that there has been a ongoing war against Christianity in general since the '50s (or whenever you can rustle up the earliest case).
                Here's our problem. Everyone wants their cause to be a War. See how many people jump on the "omg there's a WAR ON CHRISTMAS" bandwagon if you rename it to the "Disagreement About Nativity Scenes".
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

chegitz
                  A manger scene espouses a particular religion. Thus, the government can't do it. With all the private friggan property available, can't all these religionistas leave public property alone?
                  Can I walk out on public property and expouse a particular religion?

Privately funded scenes are being blocked too as was the 10 Commandment stone in Alabama.

Imran
                  There has been a "War on Christmas" for over 50 years? Because that is at least how far back rulings against nativity scenes on public property have been handed down by the Supreme Court.
                  The "War on Christmas" is a GOP/Fox news driven attack on the ACLU and leftwingers trying to enforce a bogus interpretation of the 1st Amendment [/repeat]. When was the first privately funded manger scene on public property ruled unconstitutional? Are you suggesting manger scenes have been absent from town squares all across the country for over 50 years? Btw, the court is all over the place on this so I dont know where you got the idea manger scenes were banned 50 years ago.

I fail to see a 'War on Christmas' being ongoing since the 1950s.
                  No one said it has been ongoing for 50 years, thats your invention. Complain to Fox if you find the slogan illogical.

From early on in the Republic, people were concerned the government would favor one religion to the detriment of all others. That is what establishment meant and still means.
                  Were they banning Jesus from the town square then?
                  Last edited by Berzerker; December 29, 2005, 03:35.

Comment

Working...
                  X