Hamas Wins Big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Last Conformist
    Why should the Wahhabis fund an Pal state? The PA collapsing and the attendant chaos would no doubt suit them better.
    wahabis presumably here means KSA, since there arent any other Wahabis with ample funds to spare. Will KSA rush in to fund Hamas openly, to the tune of a billion a year, if and when the West stops funding them? I dont know, but it would surprise me.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The main reason behind the loss of Fatah is their fragmentization, which lead to the victory of Hamas members in area based elections.

It is similar to how Bush won the 2000 elections.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

LIke Iraq?

I don't think the Palestinian territories are ready for dmeocracy, honestly. Democracy needs a certain amount of stability just to get a chance to work out- no such thing exists in the occupied territories. No that the Palestinians have been given much of a chance for stability anyways, so it may be a moot point.
        In palestine, as in many places elsewhere, authoritarianism wasnt doing a very good job of creating stability.

As for hypocrisy:

"The effect of liberty to individuals is, that they may do what they please; we ought to see what it will please them to do, before we risk congratulations," - Edmund Burke
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          And I do think the Arabs will see it as hypocrasy, and it will undermine the message of democracy, because it will seem like the real message is : Democracy = our values, and many in the Third world are happy with their values and reject Western ones.

and if we had NOT supported democracy in the territories, and had encourage Abbas to not allow Hamas to participate in elections ( as Bibi Netanyahu, IIUC, proposed) that would NOT have led Arabs to see hypocracy, or see the message of democracy undermined?

I dont think theyll buy that Palestine isnt ready for democracy, but other arab states are. They also dont buy that we stay and support dictators. So the only real policy recommendation available is that we dont support democracy OR dictators - IE that we withdraw from the region entirely. Which I know some people support, but thats a different argument entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
            It is similar to how Bush won the 2000 elections.
            Electoral fraud?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
            X