Hamas Wins Big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap

Cause they were made into fortresses. I assume you have seen a US embassy lately, right?
    Details, details...
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I just see the US and EU sending out a great message to the Arab world about democracy- we love democracy! We fight for Democracy! Now elect people with ideas we agree with or your in deep trouble....
      I've never known a successful democracy where political parties have their own private armies.
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

I've never known a successful democracy where political parties have their own private armies.
        LIke Iraq?

I don't think the Palestinian territories are ready for dmeocracy, honestly. Democracy needs a certain amount of stability just to get a chance to work out- no such thing exists in the occupied territories. No that the Palestinians have been given much of a chance for stability anyways, so it may be a moot point.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

LIke Iraq?
          Iraq the successful democracy?
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
            Iraq the successful democracy?
            Accordng to Bush, its well on its way- did you not hear that the elections were a world historical event, a pivot upon which the whole history of the ME will turn?

HOW DARE YOU NOT BELIEVE BUSH!!

Comment

If one praises democracy, one is stuck with the consequences of it. So either stop praising democracy as a catch all and end all to all problems, or on principle work with whomever gets elected as long as they continue the democratic process.

As for what to do, I seriosuly doubt that cutting off the PA if Hamas gets a mayority of the legislative Council will do anything other than make Hamas more powerful, as the collapse of the PA budget will drive more poor Palestinians towards private charities, funded by Islamists. Which will further cement the Islamists and undermine the Western position.
              I never praised democracy as a means to end all problems, nor did I say we should cut of the PA in the event of a Hamas win. I do reject the notion we should work with whomever is democratically elected on principle.

What I said was we should not be happy, or pretend to be happy, about Hamas winning. The former would be evil, the later dishonest. Now, you might argue that being dishonest would be a small price to avoid looking like hypocrites in Arab eyes, but I do not believe Arabs are that stupid to fall for such pretense.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Accordng to Bush, its well on its way- did you not hear that the elections were a world historical event, a pivot upon which the whole history of the ME will turn?

If you could just make your eyebrows grow together in the middle, you'd make a good Republican.

Comment

I never praised democracy as a means to end all problems, nor did I say we should cut of the PA in the event of a Hamas win. I do reject the notion we should work with whomever is democratically elected on principle.
                  You do get the fact that "you" is both singular and plural, right? I never actually mean you singular, but you plural, as in, the West.

What I said was we should not be happy, or pretend to be happy, about Hamas winning. The former would be evil, the later dishonest. Now, you might argue that being dishonest would be a small price to avoid looking like hypocrites in Arab eyes, but I do not believe Arabs are that stupid to fall for such pretense.
                  Not being happy with Hamas winning and voicing it is different from making warnings about how Hamas better not be elected, or else.

And I do think the Arabs will see it as hypocrasy, and it will undermine the message of democracy, because it will seem like the real message is : Democracy = our values, and many in the Third world are happy with their values and reject Western ones.

Comment

Um? Where did you get the notion I think they don't see it as hypocritical?

Comment

Um? Where did you get the notion I think they don't see it as hypocritical?
                      I got the sense that you think it does not matter if they see it as such.

Comment

I think looking so in their eyes is pretty much inevitable.

Comment

and breaking news: Ariel Sharon is taken to the hospital.
                          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Yep, I find it incredible that Bush ADMITS TO SPYING ON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, and then says it is unimportant compared to the Iraq elections. That man is INSANE.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                              and breaking news: Ariel Sharon is taken to the hospital.
                              Yeah, he apparently fainted. Probably learned how much he could save on car insurance by switching to Geico.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Nope, stroke.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X