Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evaluating Romney as GOP prez candidate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating Romney as GOP prez candidate...

I admit to being fascinated by the prospect of Romney running for president. His mormonism slightly weirds me out in a vague manner (I know very little about mormonism). But if the good people of Massachusetts vetted that and thought it was OK, maybe it would fly nationally.

Is anybody here from Massachusetts and can give us a sense of how he has operated as governor? It seems that he has been very successful for a republican in the land of Dukakis. Is he a good campaigner? A good debater?

To be clear, I think it is very difficult for a Senator to win the election. So on a relative basis, e.g., I think McCain is a weak candidate.
    Last edited by DanS; December 15, 2005, 16:00.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I have no problem with mormons. It's strange to be here in Ohio were there are few, or so it seems, and those that are here seem strange. Yet, when I was in Cali they were everywhere, and apart from the BYU fetish, they were pretty normal.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

There was a good article in the WaPo a couple of months ago about the evangelicals disliking the mormons, even though they have lots of issues in common. Interesting cross-currents in the GOP.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I wouldn't consider voting for or against someone because of their religion. Though their every day actions are usually guided by their religion. I have not seen anything by a mormon done without due consideration for it's consequences. Hence their hole don't anit beer, caffine, nicotine thing...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Well of course the evangelicals dislike the Mormons. The Mormon religion is regarded as a false cult. Christian fundamentalists would gravitate towards a Democratic liberal candidate in significant numbers as long as he or she was a member of a Christian religion.

I think it would be as hard for a Mormon to get the GOP nomination as it once was for a Catholic to be elected president. Heck, it would still be a issue for a Catholic.

Romney would be fighting an uphill battle I don't think he could win.

Comment

Japher: Mostly, I agree with you as a general principle. But I can imagine certain specific religions that would give me more than a little pause.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              I wouldn't consider voting for or against someone because of their religion. Though their every day actions are usually guided by their religion. I have not seen anything by a mormon done without due consideration for it's consequences. Hence their hole don't anit beer, caffine, nicotine thing...
              Japher, are you a religious conservative?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dizle
                Well of course the evangelicals dislike the Mormons. The Mormon religion is regarded as a false cult.
                Catholics consider mormonism a false cult too. Didn't stop Romney from being elected in an RC area in blue country. Makes me think we shouldn't underestimate him.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Catholics consider mormonism a false cult too. Didn't stop Romney from being elected in an RC area in blue country. Makes me think we shouldn't underestimate him.
                  Yah, well, I consider Christianity a false cult, hasnt stopped me from voting for my share of Methodists, Baptists, Catholics, and Episcopalians over the years. I guess the point is that evangelicals view of false cults may be a tad less tolerant than that of your run of the mill Massachusetts Catholic.

and the evangelicals concern is not so much with the truth value of Mormonism (they dont think much of the truth value of Orthodox Judaism, yet many were sympathetic to Lieberman) its more that they actually feel threatened by LDS proselytization (see how it feels, guys )
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

But don't you agree that a Mormon would have a tougher row to hoe in the Bible Belt?

I am not saying he wouldn't be able to garner support but I think it would be soft in a lot of areas that have been GOP strongholds.

Comment

But don't you agree that a Mormon would have a tougher row to hoe in the Bible Belt?
                      I don't know. Have we seen such a political campaign before?

Comment

Yah, well, I consider Christianity a false cult
                        Different situation entirely. For one, your normal baptist doesn't consider himself a Jew. AFAIK, your normal mormon considers himself a christian.

Comment

At the same time, he might have more appeal with moderates.

And he's got some fundy street cred: he fought gay marriage in MA.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Yah, well, I consider Christianity a false cult, hasnt stopped me from voting for my share of Methodists, Baptists, Catholics, and Episcopalians over the years. I guess the point is that evangelicals view of false cults may be a tad less tolerant than that of your run of the mill Massachusetts Catholic.

and the evangelicals concern is not so much with the truth value of Mormonism (they dont think much of the truth value of Orthodox Judaism, yet many were sympathetic to Lieberman) its more that they actually feel threatened by LDS proselytization (see how it feels, guys )
                            I agree with your first point and you probably understated it. I'd say more than a tad less tolerant.

Comment

I never knew Romney was a Mormon.

I actually don't know much about him at all. I left Massachusetts before he became Governor.

I guess the point is that evangelicals view of false cults may be a tad less tolerant than that of your run of the mill Massachusetts Catholic.
                              True. While MA is largely Catholic (especially the Boston area), most aren't very religious. Most live in the Boston urban area too, and urban dwellers tend to be pretty tolerant anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X