• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian dollar red-hot against the US greenback

Energy exports lift loonie
    Currency hits highest mark in 14 years

Published: Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Canadian dollar temporarily surged to 87.5 cents US Wednesday, sparking speculation the currency's strength could become an election issue for the Liberals in voter-rich Ontario, whose export oriented manufacturing sector is most vulnerable to a stronger loonie.

"Prime Minister Paul Martin has so far run a campaign tailored to appeal to the urban Ontario market," Nesbitt Burns economist David Watt mused in a note to investors. "That is a region that has faced the sting of manufacturing job losses, with more likely to come.

"Union leaders, including the PM's new buddy (Canadian Autoworkers president) Buzz Hargrove, might begin to rattle the chains with more conviction in coming weeks," he speculated, as the currency briefly touched 87.50 cents US before slipping back to close at a 14-year high of 86.82 cents US.

Hargrove has publicly stated it would be best for voters to elect another Liberal minority government, with the NDP holding the balance.

Dale Orr, an economist with Global Insight, agreed a "higher dollar is worse for Ontario than any other province and is one of the things that makes it more difficult for the auto folks."

"And anything can become an election issue," he added.

However, unlike 14 years ago when the then-Tory government was under pressure to order the Bank of Canada to cut interest rates to reduce the value of the currency, rising rates now are only one of several factors pushing the loonie higher, Orr noted, adding he hoped the currency wouldn't become a political football.

Warren Jestin, Scotiabank chief economist, said he suspects the loonie will soon reach or surpass the 90 cents US mark.

But he, too, said there's nothing the government can or should do to rein in the currency, which is being driven higher by the solid fundamentals of the Canadian economy, including budget and fiscal surpluses, strong global demand for Canadian resources, and money-market nervousness the U.S. dollar could go substantially lower.

And the latest runup in the currency was fuelled by more good news on the Canadian economy and bad news out of the U.S.

Statistics Canada reported energy sales boosted exports to record levels in October, more than offsetting an increase in imports and nudging Canada's trade surplus even higher.

"Energy is now Canada's largest export sector, weighing in at $9.2 billion," it noted. "Energy has surpassed the machinery and equipment and automotive sectors, which had exchanged the title of largest export sector back-and-forth for many years."

Exports rose a further one per cent to a record high $40.2 billion, while imports rose 1.2 per cent to $33 billion, leaving Canada with a $7.2-billion surplus, up marginally from the upwardly revised surplus the month before.

The trade report suggested firms here took advantage of the strong dollar to boost their imports of productivity enhancing machinery and equipment.

Giving the loonie an added boost was news out of the U.S. of an unexpected increase in its trade deficit, which in part reflected the increase in energy imports from Canada.

"The main contributor to the rising shipments to the United States was the increase in natural gas exports, as natural gas prices continued to climb," Statistics Canada said.
    Election implications can be discussed in the CanPol thread

In the same paper I was reading that the U.S. Trade deficit was hitting a MONTHLY record of something like 20 Billion with China. Wow. The article also indicated that ehir is a widespred belief that official figures from China understate their GDP by as much as 20%
    I'm absolutely no economics expert and wonder how sustainable the U.S. situation of budget and trade deficits can be??

Doesn't there come apoint where the U.S. hits the wall where they need to spend less or take in more? Isn't there a worry that in a time where many countries are experiencing great grwoth, the U.S. is lagging the pack?

Oh and as a Canadian I love the better purchasing power for my C$. I used to pay a 40% premium for a US buck
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

I'm planning on going to the US for a week in January. Keep going up, baby!
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

From the US standpoint, the immediate budget deficit is more or less sustainable. The trade deficit doesn't appear to be sustainable, but a trade deficit of let's say 1/2 its current level probably is sustainable.

The US economy is growing at a fair clip -- leading the pack (of industrialized nations) at the moment. Higher growth than Canada, for instance. When or whether our economy will "hit the wall" is a matter of some debate. The US has some company (Australia) at this level of trade deficits.
      Last edited by DanS; December 15, 2005, 12:38.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

loonie
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

nm
          What?

Comment

Attached Files
            What?

Comment

Boo. I'll be in Canada for Christmas.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Where in Canada are you headed, Arrian?
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Markham, Ontario. My sister lives there.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

My condolences.

Comment

Your sister is Asher?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I live in Calgary now, quite far away from Markham.

Markham is a northern Toronto suburb with 95% Asian population.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                          My condolences.
                          Explain, please.

I know about the Asian population, but I doubt that's what you meant...

What's so bad about Markham?

-Arrian

Comment

Proximity to Toronto is my guess.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's just anywheresville suburbia without anything unique about it at all (save for the demographics, I suppose). Far enough away from Toronto to be a nuisance gettting there. Coupled with the weather, it's going to be pretty bleak. If you're just visiting family, I guess it doesn't really matter, but there isn't going to be much in the way of anything else interesting to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X