Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arrian
    I still maintain he isn't as good as you think he is, Sava.
    You have to understand where I am coming from. We Cub fans have been suffering through Corey Patterson for the last few years. Just look at his numbers.

Complete career MLB stats for the New York Mets Left Fielder Corey Patterson on ESPN. Includes games played, hits and home runs per MLB season.

Patterson last year, his OBP was .254... HIS ON BASE PERCENTAGE!!! 118 strikeouts and 23 walks. And he was our leadoff man for part of the year and most of 2004. Pierre's career batting average is higher than Patterson's career OBP.

So yes, of course I am elated at the prospect of Pierre leading off. Yes, Pierre had an off year last year. But I am choosing to be optimistic. I am PRAYING TO MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST that Pierre bounces back and hits above .300 and has an OBP of above .360.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Holy mother of...

I knew he had been bad, but...

That defies description. That's... WORSE THAN WOMACK I didn't think that was possible. Who was worse, him or Guzman?

edit: Guzman, by a nose.

Ok, I now fully understand where you're coming from, Sava.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Of course we can't fully evaluate the deal until we see what uber-prospet Nolasco (moving from the Cubs to Florida) does. I'm sure Florida is hoping for another Willis, who they STOLE from the Cubbies, giving them Clement and Alfonseco in return for the group of players including the D-train.
        not even the Marlins knew that Willis would be that good

Nobody did...

fun factoid though... Dusty Baker's wife is good friends with Willis's mom. The two families knew each other when Dontrelle was growing up.

Nolasco is not going to be as good as Willis... he doesn't have the stuff. I've seen him pitch twice.

I don't care that much about giving up prospects. With the economics of baseball, a franchise like the Cubs can afford to give up prospects.

Plus, Rich Hill and Angel Guzman are the top Cubs pitching prospects. Pinto and Nolasco were second-tier.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I thought the line was that the Cubs didn't give up any uberprospects??

-Arrian
          They lied . They gave up some good pitchers.

Btw, Toronto is going hog wild this offseason aren't they? I heard they signed Lyle Overbay and are offering Nomar a two year deal. And are discussing dealing for the Rangers' newly acquired Brad Wilkerson.

Sure they spent a lot, but that team is going to be challenging if they can pull all those deals off!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The Jays grew a pair this year... but I think this was a real bad year for it. The free agent market blows. So they're spending all this money... for what? Guys who would be B-grade also-rans in other markets. But they're the best to be had this year.

The Jays were a good team last year. They pitched real well, but they need more hitting. They gave up a good pitcher, by the way, in Bush.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• By the way... please don't tell me that Dusty kept running Patterson out there in the leadoff spot, Sava. That would be seriously masochistic...

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Interesting... I've heard that Cards have basically said they are out of the running for Matt Morris... it seems the Giants are the top bidders right now.
                Giants are offering 2 years at X (unknown) but I've heard that he would likely resign at 3 years 8 per. Cards would then try to move Marquis for a corner outfielder.

Comment

By the way... please don't tell me that Dusty kept running Patterson out there in the leadoff spot, Sava. That would be seriously masochistic...

-Arrian
                  And yet the expected move by the hapless cubbies. I think Dusty deserves an extension on that contract

Comment

By the way... please don't tell me that Dusty kept running Patterson out there in the leadoff spot, Sava. That would be seriously masochistic...

-Arrian
                    well, after the all-star break, I don't think Patterson lead off again...

but he did a lot in the beginning of the year

Jerry Hairston was in there a lot though

he was all right...

but another problem was that Neifi Perez kept batting second

his OBP is under .300
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Neifi Perez, Corey Patterson and Jerry Hairston (not necessarily in the same category as the other two, granted) all getting hundreds of at-bats at the top of the order. Oh, the humanity!

Didn't they give a bunch of money to Perez, too? Yikes.

-Arrian

Comment

• J. Damon for 4 years & $52 million.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, he is a big upgrade from last year and it definitely hurts the Red Sox - the primary divisional competition. On the other, 4 years from now he'll be what, 36 yrs old? That 4th year might very well suck. And he throws like a girl.

Overall, I think it's a good deal for the Yanks. They plugged a major hole in the lineup, and even the defense improves a bit (not much, since Damon throws like a girl and his range isn't really that good). That's probably worth the yrs & money, even if year 4 bites them in the ass.

Now, if I were Torre, I'd ponder whether batting Damon leadoff really makes sense. On the one hand, he has put up good OBP's, has speed, and sees lots of pitchers per P.A. On the other, he ranks 5th on the Yankees in OBP, behind Giambi, A. Rod, Jeter and Sheff... and I think he's actually tied with Matsui.

I think the best approach would be to use him in the lead off spot (or the #2 spot) against RHP - which is the lion's share of the season. Against lefties I might bat him 6th or 7th (depending on Posada's performance).

Anyway, the Yanks now have but one hole to fill offensively - DH. Either they get a DH/backup 1B guy or they get a guy capable of playing LF/RF and rotate Sheff, Matsui and said unknown player through the DH spot.

-Arrian

p.s. I like the Dotel signing. It's low risk, with nice upside.

Comment

J. Damon for 4 years & $52 million.

That 4th year might very well suck.
                          The third year might, too.

I just can't wait to see him with a shave and a haircut.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Hey, they all could if he goes out and suffers some catastrophic injury next year - which is always, always a possibility.

But I don't think the 3rd year has a high probability of being bad. The 4th does, but I think the 3rd will be ok.

He's overpaid, sure. But the market being what it is (ugly), I'm not upset by the terms. Hey, at least it isn't 5 years!

-Arrian

Comment

• I just wanted to comment about how fans talk about money in baseball. Be happy that the player is signed. Don't worry about the money. It's not your money. It's the team's money. They can afford it. Even if it is overpaying, still, it doesn't matter. As long as you are not the one paying the player, the only thing you as a fan should be concerned about is that the player is with the team. That's it. Because there is no salary cap in baseball, and because a team like the Yankees (and in my case the Cubs) can afford to spend tons of money, it shouldn't matter to you how much your team spends on a player... as long as that player fills a need.

This isn't really directed at you Arrian. I was talking to my sister's fiance, who is a die hard Cub fan (and unlike me, he hates the White Sox), and he was making excuses for the Cubs when they didn't sign Rafael Furcal, saying "Well, I didn't want the Cubs to spend the extra money."

Well, wait a minute... WTF do you care what extra money the Cubs spend to get him? I don't care... I just want my team to get the players they need... if that means overpaying when the market is not plentiful, then that is what needs to happen. Because as it stands now, the Cubs are $22 million under last years payroll, they have raised ticket prices so they stand to increase revenues by about $10 million... SO WHY THE HELL SHOULD THEY NOT OVERPAY BY A FEW MILLION TO GET A GUY THEY NEED?

Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but I think some Yankees fans will be talking about the same thing about Damon (i.e. overpaying)... I just wanted to share my perspective as a Cub fan... as the Cubs missed out on Furcal, who could have helped them.

As for Damon? Well, he is probably towards the downside of his career. I'd be more concerned about that instead of the salary. However, you never know if Damon is going to be one of these guys who is going to have a "second prime".

oh and BTW... I could do without the Cubs signing Jacque Jones...

I don't want another 120+ strikeout guy who averages like 30-40 walks a year...

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• This morning on ESPN radio/news, whenever the mentioned the Damon signing, they played the Darth Vader music in the background
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X