Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 consecutive division titles , and btw they lost in a sold out Astrodome
    Last edited by flash9286; November 29, 2005, 16:20.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

At least the people in Houston cared
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Actually, attendance went up in 2005 for the first time in eight years.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

It just shows how apathetic the people are even after 14 division championships. I would be pissed as hell as a player to win 14 in a row and not play to a sellout almost every game. Hell, the cubs suck but still sellout almost every game. And you could guarentee that any playoff game would be SRO.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

+1 is still an increase
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, atlanta doesn't deserve a winning ball club.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Attendance is up 10% Sava, about 2,500 more people per game . Atlanta has been hurt by its own success, that the team sucks in the post season, and bad advertising management.

Comment

[q=Sava]But still, I don't want Neifi Perez to be the Cubs starting shortstop... I want Furcal if Hendry can manage to get him. And if not? Then plan B should be Garciaparra. Neifi is a backup. His offense is not good. His OB% is worst only to Corey Patterson.[/q]

True, but he's handy with a glove. Remember, the BoSox won the World Series with Orlando Cabrera at SS. Not exactly a world beater with the bat. SS is STILL the position you can get away with a good glove, bad bat type of player, even with the influx of great hitting SS's.

Hell, he did almost as good with the bat as Todd Hollandsworth did .

Garciaparra should be the starter usually when he's healthy... but when is that nowadays? Perez is a decent stand in.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286
                    Attendance is up 10% Sava, about 2,500 more people per game . Atlanta has been hurt by its own success, that the team sucks in the post season, and bad advertising management.
                    And the fact that it isn't a baseball town .

I went to a game on opening weekend (well for the Braves... Atl was somewhere else for the actual opening day). It was the big game of the series: Smoltz against Pedro (I was rooting for the Mets, of course ). It turned out to be one Hell of a pitching duel.

However, my friend and I noticed EMPTY SEATS! On the first home weekend, Smoltz v. Glavine, and empty seats!

Jeez Louise!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

True, but he's handy with a glove. Remember, the BoSox won the World Series with Orlando Cabrera at SS. Not exactly a world beater with the bat. SS is STILL the position you can get away with a good glove, bad bat type of player, even with the influx of great hitting SS's.

Hell, he did almost as good with the bat as Todd Hollandsworth did .

Garciaparra should be the starter usually when he's healthy... but when is that nowadays? Perez is a decent stand in.
                      The problem is, Dusty likes to bat Neifi 2nd. With an on base % less than .300

Garciaparra was decent at the end of the year last year... he hit near or above .300 and had some homers.

Again, he's not my first choice, but I would rather have him than Perez. I don't doubt Perez's ability defensively. In fact, based on defensive stats, he was in top 5-10 in all shortstop defensive categories last year, IIRC. But the Cubs need better offensive production.

And Jim Hendry needs to "Dusty-proof" this team. Getting a solid starting shortstop is a must.

I don't want to see Perez batting 2nd at all this year... Period.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Things will have gone greatly wrong if he's batting second. SO, I hope we don't see it.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

silly rah

this is the Cubs we are talking about

Perez being the every day SS and batting second would be par for the course
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

last year Perez, in 154 games... walked 18 times!!!

he had an OBP of .298 in 572 at bats

33 doubles was good...

and he only struck out 47 times... so he does put the ball in play

but still, I don't want to see him starting
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The problem is, Dusty likes to bat Neifi 2nd.

I think the problem is the manager .

Comment

cubs signing Mabry 1 yr, 1 mil. yikes. not good value there
                                Phils signing Nunez

cards aren't going to feel the loss of either.

Thome to the Chisox blows me away. I can't fgure out why they would make that deal in the post-roid era. they might get 25 gammes out of Thome

Comment

Working...
                                X