No announcement yet.

Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd highest OBP on the team? Ok, then, he's your man. Lucky for the Mets they can pitch, eh? And Shea, of course, depresses hitting, so they neither hit as poorly as it might seem nor pitch as well as it might seem...

About Wright, yeah he shouda been an all-star. I don't see him play and have no idea about his defensive abilities, but you probably already know that the GG doesn't really mean anything. Most of the time it's awarded on reputation and name recognition (which brings hitting into it, which shouldn't matter). Derek Jeter is a 2-time GG winner. He's great and all, but he has *not* been the best SS in the league defensively for 2 years. That's just not possible. He's improved quite a bit (thanks, A-Rod!), but he remains a so-so defender. To bring this full-circle, how was Jeter not an all-star? Posednik? Ya gotta be kiddin' me! He's garbage!

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Just looked at Philly (to see about this Michaels kid), and I didn't realize but Philly has one HELL of a lineup! Even Kenny Lofton had a good year in center. Their pitching definetly killed them, though I wonder how they would have done with a healthy Randy Wolf. And, of course, they have to replace Wagner.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I was aware of Lofton. That stung quite a bit, since he stunk for us and then went and had a solid, solid year for Philly.

Philly is a team that always looks good on paper and always seems to underperform due to one or more subtle flaws.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

To bring this full-circle, how was Jeter not an all-star?

That'd be the fan vote. They were tired of Jeter. And Michael Young and Miguel Tejada WERE better SS than him, so you can't blame those two for being picked before Jeter.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Philly is a team that always looks good on paper and always seems to underperform due to one or more subtle flaws.

I would argue that had they had Randy Wolf healthy (or brought up Ryan Howard for good earlier in the season), they would have won that division. I think the lack of Wolf hurt them greatly as he is a very solid pitcher and with Wolf and Tejada, they could have moved Padilla to the bullpen. That by itself, could have given the Phils the 2 wins they needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              To bring this full-circle, how was Jeter not an all-star?

That'd be the fan vote. They were tired of Jeter. And Michael Young and Miguel Tejada WERE better SS than him, so you can't blame those two for being picked before Jeter.
              I can't remember how things stood a mid-season, but I would argue that by the end, Jeter was 2nd to Tejada, with Young right behind him. Remember that Young plays in Texas (big-time hitter's park). But no, I do not think that Jeter was screwed in the main balloting. The fan vote is what was messed up (and I think there may have been 1 or 2 other guys as qualified or more qualified than Jeter who were ignored as well) and it was clearly "we're sick of Jeter, Yankees suck, hahahaha wouldn't it be funny if we sent this guy instead." You cannot argue, however, that Pods was actually a better player.

-Arrian

Comment

plus jeter hasnt deserved a single gold glove that hes gotten, those should be taken away.

bofadeeznutsinsteiny'smouf.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Hmm, after checking the stats... even with park adjustment Young may have been better.

Raw lines:

.309/.389/.450 for Jeter.
                  .331/.385/.513 for Young.

The OBP's are pretty much even, but that's a pretty big spike in SLG. I think they're pretty comparable, but Young was probably slightly better overall.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    plus jeter hasnt deserved a single gold glove that hes gotten, those should be taken away.

bofadeeznutsinsteiny'smouf.
                    Gold Gloves are a joke. Many, many GG's have been given to undeserving players.

But I know exactly where YOU are coming from, LoA. Maybe you think Rent-an-Error should have gotten it?

-Arrian

Comment

hell nah, but i woulda given one to MANNY. The stats are clear: he lead the league in OUTFIELD ASSISTS.

rent-a-wreck should just go away. And it proves once again that Imran was wrong last year about how good renteria was gonna be. You guys remember all that blah blah he said? and look who turned out right. yeah.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

we coulda kept Cabrera, who had similar batting stats, much better defensive stats, actually hit in the postseason, and was $2 million a year cheaper (or was it 4?)

Comment

hell nah, but i woulda given one to MANNY. The stats are clear: he lead the league in OUTFIELD ASSISTS.

rent-a-wreck should just go away. And it proves once again that Imran was wrong last year about how good renteria was gonna be. You guys remember all that blah blah he said? and look who turned out right. yeah.
                          Surely you're not that delusional. Manny did indeed have the most assists for a LF (OF, even?), but anybody who knows baseball knows that results from two things:

1) He's a mediocre to bad fielder, so people run on him a lot; and
                          2) Fenway's LF isn't exactly "spacious."

His arm is pretty darned accurate, so if he doesn't have to throw too far, he's got a good shot at getting the runner. I expect the league will have caught on this year. He's improved somewhat, but he's still a poor fielder.

Renteria will probably rebound a bit this year. He's a better player than he showed. He's not as good as that one career year he had (2003?), either. Anyway, say what you want about him, but I'm sure glad to have Derek Jeter.

-Arrian

Comment

we coulda kept Cabrera, who had similar batting stats, much better defensive stats, actually hit in the postseason, and was $2 million a year cheaper (or was it 4?)
                            At first, I laughed. Then I looked at the stats.

Cabrera's line (in a pitcher's park):

.257/.309/.365

Renteria's line (in a hitter's park):

.276/.335/.385

Throw in the defense and you've got a near-wash, and Cabrera was both beloved AND cheaper.

Let's see how the next few years work out before condemning Renteria, though.

-Arrian

Comment

Surely you're not that delusional. Manny did indeed have the most assists for a LF (OF, even?), but anybody who knows baseball knows that results from two things:

1) He's a mediocre to bad fielder, so people run on him a lot; and
                              2) Fenway's LF isn't exactly "spacious."
                              nah bro, i was kidding. hehe.

however, with cabrera, i was serious.

At first, I laughed. Then I looked at the stats.
                              i dont seem so delusional anymore now do i?

Comment

Remember that Young plays in Texas (big-time hitter's park).

Looking at OPS+ (which takes into account park factors), Young beats out Jeter by a 133 to 121 margin (which is a fairly decent margin).

Comment

Working...
                                X