Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason Baseball Thread

Why has Imran not started an offseason baseball thread?!

Thome to the White Sox...
    Wagner to the Mets...

And the Phillies are that much better for it. I'm liking Pat Gillick as a GM thus far.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Ah, offseason. It's my favorite part of baseball's fiscal year.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Go Mets
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The Mets have really been amazing so far. They had two needs, a thumper and closer, and they went out and got them.

And in todays news, the Cubs signed some worthless back up utility player... sigh...
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is it Florida who is dumping everyone?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            Yep... Fire Sale '05, to go with Fire Sale '98.

That team really needs to move from Miami. They start getting great talent (a lot of the young players came over, interestingly, from the late 90s fire sale), but can't afford any of them because no one comes to games.

Hell, move the franchise to Las Vegas (and move them to the NL West... then move the Pirates to the NL East for 3 divisions of 5 teams in the NL)
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              Yes... the fire sale is on in Florida. Their plans for a new stadium were rejected, so they are dumping contracts.

Expect to see the Marlins in a new city in the future.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Not much personnel activity for the Nationals.

The new stadium is already over budget and the politicians are looking for MLB or the new owners to pick up some of the slack to make it a truly gold-plated stadium in fine federal Washington fashion (underground parking, etc.). Much of the land for the stadium has already been purchased by the city, but the city is in the process of using eminent domain for the remainder. The neighborhood is a hellhole, but with lots of potential. Even the eminent domainers are getting fortunes for small plots.

Negotiations for a stadium lease -- the signing of which will allow for a final sale of the team -- are ongoing between MLB and the city. Looks like they are close to a deal. There is very heavy interest for the team, which makes sense. A sweetheart deal in a town the size of metro Washington is a no-brainer. We are finding out that MLB is full of greedy bastards to make Washingtonians look like pikers.

The stadium is being designed by HOK, but apparently is a departure from the throwback stadiums designed by HOK, which began with Camden Yards up the road about 40 miles. Lots of glass and pre-fab concrete/marble, to complement the style of the city. There is some (good-natured) dissention on the city council about the design. The design hasn't been unveiled yet. Washington cares a lot about this stuff, so the design will be "vetted" very heavily in public, I'm sure. I'm mostly concerned about the outfield view of the monuments, how the stadium will fit into the neighborhood without dominating it, and the view of the stadium coming over the bridge on the Anacostia river.

Could be a stunner. Could be a design that was a good idea, but doesn't look quite right in practice...
                Last edited by DanS; November 29, 2005, 10:40.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                  And in todays news, the Cubs signed some worthless back up utility player... sigh...
                  Hey, the Cubs have done a good job with the bullpen! I am impressed!

Howry, Scott Eyre?

Mabry isn't very exciting, but he is an upgrade for the bench.

I am still hoping for Furcal and Pierre.

Imagine those guys getting on base for Derrek Lee and Ramirez!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    I am still hoping for Furcal and Pierre.
                    Land either of them, and then I would get excited. Especially if it's Pierre. We NEED a leadoff man badly. I think the Cubs can live without Furcal... but we can't go through another season without a leadoff man.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

If the Cubs had to pick who to go after, I think they'd be better served with Pierre. Patterson just doesn't seem to be the answer in center. Neifi Perez is better with the bat than Patterson, and he's better known for his glove!

Also Florida is giving players away. The Braves will probably try to keep Furcal, driving his price up.

Comment

woohoo. The Phillies got Abraham Nunez.

At least it takes some playing time away from David Bell I suppose.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

yeah, I'd much rather see Pierre...

Furcal is too drinky and drivey

that will be a problem, especially with the Cubs day games... I don't want another guy like Kyle Farnsworth who enjoys going out to Rush Street every night.

But still, I don't want Neifi Perez to be the Cubs starting shortstop... I want Furcal if Hendry can manage to get him. And if not? Then plan B should be Garciaparra. Neifi is a backup. His offense is not good. His OB% is worst only to Corey Patterson.

I'd rather see Ronny Cedeno starting than Perez I think.

BTW, any word on this rumor involving the Rangers and Cubs?

I hear Soriano and Mensch for Jerome Williams, Aardsma (sp?), Todd Walker, and maybe a minor leaguer...

there was talk about it on sports radio yesterday... but not much talk about it today... it probably won't happen...

Soriano has some good power and speed, but not good defense... if Walker can hit .300, I think I would almost want him in the lineup. Plus, he's a lefty.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Chipper has already gave up 6 million next year to help keep Furcal and hopefully help the Braves find a decent closer.

Go Braves!
                            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286
                              Go Braves!
                              Yes go braves. Another division championship and a first round loss in the playoff in front of a half empty stadium. Go braves.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X