The sad case of Conrad Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither
    The position of the GoC is not to 'prevent' Canadian citizens from obtaining titles?

But no problem joining the Marine Corps and blowing away villages.

Or designing large weapons that go bang for dictators.

It's stupid. We allow our citizens to travel the world and no law is broken should they wreak havoc while abroad, but no-no, don't you dare make one of ours a knight!

Consider the number of knighted Prime Ministers we have, I don't think we have a problem with knighting. We have a problem with lording, which is a different kind of title. For one thing, I am pretty sure it's hereditary (?).
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• US prison needs to be reformed and humanized. The best way to do so is to make sure that powerful people end up in them. Sorry, Conrad, but if you want to be treated humanely you are going to have to fight to civilize and reform US jails. It's your choice.

(And, if you are a merciless utilitarian, then surely you wouldn't want to meet someone cruelly raped in prison on the street? Well, they are released once they serve their two years or five years and the street is precisely where you meet the hardened souls.)
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• I just realized...why is Greenspan defending His Lordship??

I thought Greenspan only took 'cases that interested him' or something and he was too big for money to motivate him these days or some ****....

*for non-legal beagles, Edward Greenspan is noted lawyer in canada, famous from some precedent-setting cases.

Lord Black must still have a lot of money socked away somewhere...
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• Originally posted by St Leo
          Originally posted by notyoueither
          The position of the GoC is not to 'prevent' Canadian citizens from obtaining titles?

But no problem joining the Marine Corps and blowing away villages.

Or designing large weapons that go bang for dictators.

It's stupid. We allow our citizens to travel the world and no law is broken should they wreak havoc while abroad, but no-no, don't you dare make one of ours a knight!

Consider the number of knighted Prime Ministers we have, I don't think we have a problem with knighting. We have a problem with lording, which is a different kind of title. For one thing, I am pretty sure it's hereditary (?).
          We haven't had a knighted PM since Robert Borden.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
          X