Canadian government to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubber

Thats quite an assertion. I don't doubt that there are some rascist Conservatives but don't you think your comment is a bit much.
    The problem with Canadian conservatives is that they threw over a perfectly electable party, in the shape of the old Progressive Conservatives, in favour of a party that is perceived to be the home of Bible-Bashers and homophobes.

Western Canadian social conservatism simply will not fly in Ontario or Quebec, and without one of those, you cannot be elected as the Government of Canada. Western Canadians have to accept that they are politically irrelevant. Ontario and Quebec are where it's at, and that is just a fact.

If the Conservatives had moved to embrace the old style PC party (relatively socially liberal and slightly to the right of the Liberals on economic issues), they would probably be in power right now. But they didn't. Instead they have focused on a platform that alienates a majority of Canadians, and have topped this off by having the two worst leaders in recent Canadian political history.

People out west like to howl and moan, but the fact is that Canada as a whole is a socially liberal and relatively economically liberal society. Unless the Conservatives get rid of their social conservatism, they will never be the Government of Canada. They might squeak in as a minority, but that's living on borrowed time.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Western Canadian social conservatism simply will not fly in Ontario or Quebec, and without one of those, you cannot be elected as the Government of Canada. Western Canadians have to accept that they are politically irrelevant. Ontario and Quebec are where it's at, and that is just a fact.

Canadians have to learn that they are irrelevant.

Comment

You are judging these conservatives based on Mulroney??? Wow. Many people don't go for them because they are NOT the old Progressive Conservatives
        Yes. I can't believe the Canadian right hasn't clued in to this yet.

Mulroney is unpopular, but the PC brand of being slightly to the right of the Liberals is not.

Hell, Joe Clark said that everyone might as well vote for the Liberals when the new CCP was formed. He was right.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

The problem with Canadian conservatives is that they threw over a perfectly electable party, in the shape of the old Progressive Conservatives, in favour of a party that is perceived to be the home of Bible-Bashers and homophobes.
          I think that the party has tried to move slightly left but issues such as gay marriage and some vocal far-righters have made this difficult

If the Conservatives had moved to embrace the old style PC party (relatively socially liberal and slightly to the right of the Liberals on economic issues), they would probably be in power right now. But they didn't. Instead they have focused on a platform that alienates a majority of Canadians, and have topped this off by having the two worst leaders in recent Canadian political history.

People out west like to howl and moan, but the fact is that Canada as a whole is a socially liberal and relatively economically liberal society. Unless the Conservatives get rid of their social conservatism, they will never be the Government of Canada. They might squeak in as a minority, but that's living on borrowed time.
          Generally I have to agree with you. WE have had scandals that would have decimated a party in other times but the Liberals STILL lead the polls. It shows that on fundamentals the Conservatives have a big problem.

I truly wonder where the Conservatives might be with say Peter Mackay as leader. he does have some baggage but would present a much softer face to the party.

We may find out. If the Liberals squeeze out another minority, it may be seen as enough of a setback for Harper that he resigns. Then the Conservatives could remake themselves for another bout in a year or two. They could easily argue that they should not topple the government immediately since the result would be unlikely to change.

Frankly, if there is another minority, I want the parties to try to work together for at least two years
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Mulroney is unpopular, but the PC brand of being slightly to the right of the Liberals is not.

What I find funny is that the biggest Liberal promise that decimated the PCs was the promise to scrap the GST. Twelve years later and we still have the GST.

Was it not so bad after all ??
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Actually the parallel between the federal situation and the Alberta one does exist. In each case you have people sticking with the existing party since things "seem pretty good"
              Yeah that's pretty much it. If things "seem pretty good" I don't see why we'd want to change and risk things going worse. Unless the new party looks so good it doesn't seem like a risk. That's not the case for me here.
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Re: Canadian government to fall

Again?

Wouldn't this be the third government in less than two years?

I guess Canada has become worse than Italy now
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Re: Canadian government to fall

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  Again?

Wouldn't this be the third government in less than two years?

I guess Canada has become worse than Italy now
                  We had an election ~17 months ago.

Canada has a history of long stretches of government by majority (meaning elections every four years or so) punctuated by short stretches of minority government (meaning a much more volatile political situation). It's almost guaranteed that we'll have another minority government this time around, which will be the first time since the 60s we've had back-to-back minorities.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think we need some more BK election prognostications.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Garth Vader

Yeah that's pretty much it. If things "seem pretty good" I don't see why we'd want to change and risk things going worse. Unless the new party looks so good it doesn't seem like a risk. That's not the case for me here.
                      Wow -- so the Liberals could flip a BILLION to their cronies through another adscam and you would still vote for them as long as the books stayed balanced ??

Incredible!! The Alberta electorate would never vote for anyone else if people thought that way

oh thats right, they don't

Seriously though, the economy shows no sign of cooling off, so are we supposed to vote for incumbents for existing govrnments for the next ten years

Comment

• I think we need some more BK election prognostications.

Conservatives: 220 seats
                        BQ: 75 seats
                        Christian Heritage Party: 10 seats
                        NDP: 3 seats
                        Liberals: 0
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Webster
                          Hell I don't need to listen to liberals. All I have to do is look south over the border and see a conservative goverment that scares the hell out me.
                          And I have to look to Venesuala or China to see a left-wing government that scares the hell out of me.

Evil, corrupt, and inept governments are common and possible no matter which political direction the ruling party leans.

The root problem, of course, is most politicians are artsy morons or lawyers -- either inept or evil.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Webster
                            How is Canada doing financially at this moment?
                            Worse than Alberta, which is conservative.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I sure would love to see a government ran by computerists.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• It would be the most efficient government known to man.

Comment

Working...
                                X