No announcement yet.

Concubines... are an option (part deux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concubines... are an option (part deux)

Just for the sake of making DanS happy, since I know how much he loves these off topic remarks, shouldn't it be "Concubines... is an option"?

To wit, you can say "an option is so and so", or "one option would be so and so" not "an option are..".

Just sayin'.

Comment

In English the verb is conjugated based on the number of the subjection, not the object. Thus concubines are an option.

Comment

To be fair, "an option" isn't an object here.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Touche.

What do you call it when it follows "to be"?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Touche.

What do you call it when it follows "to be"?
            Infinitive?
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I imagine most of China's prostitutes are poor peasant girls who've moved to the big city to try to make it but found this was one of the only jobs open to her.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                I imagine most of China's prostitutes are poor peasant girls who've moved to the big city to try to make it but found this was one of the only jobs open to her.
                Or, if Korea is any guide, girls from many backgrounds who got a bit too deep in credit card debt...
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Boshco is only one credit card payment away from becoming a whore!
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf

Are you saying the Chinese are closer to the primates than white people?
                    Heh-heh, I think you know I'm saying their attitudes about sexuality might be more natural than that of westerners.

Originally posted by Oerdin

I think for very many that's exactly true. For others, they could find work in a factory, but working as a prostitute is a better job in many respects (better pay, living conditions, freedom, etc.).
                    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Seriously though:
                      Thanks for the summary!

It all sounds very familiar, especially the ultra-melodramatic soap operas.

The only big difference is in movies, sounds like Korea is ahead of China on that score. That Korean film "My Sassy Girlfriend" was incredibly popular in China, so popular it apparently spawned a Chinese tv series called (surprise!) "My Sassy Girlfriend".
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Or, if Korea is any guide, girls from many backgrounds who got a bit too deep in credit card debt...

material girls.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az

material girls.
                          Those cellphones ain't cheap...
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                            Thanks for the summary!

It all sounds very familiar, especially the ultra-melodramatic soap operas.

The only big difference is in movies, sounds like Korea is ahead of China on that score. That Korean film "My Sassy Girlfriend" was incredibly popular in China, so popular it apparently spawned a Chinese tv series called (surprise!) "My Sassy Girlfriend".
                            They show Chinese films on TV here some times EVERY SINGLE ONE is seems to be low budget wire-fu with craptacular special effects.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Those cellphones ain't cheap...

man, It's sometimes hillarious to think that some people think the west is materialistic. But I have no problem with this - though I would rather have them not use cell-phones that much. It's not healthy.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                                \
                                I think for very many that's exactly true. For others, they could find work in a factory, but working as a prostitute is a better job in many respects (better pay, living conditions, freedom, etc.).
                                I read an article many months ago on how rural Chinese women are going to cities to be prostitutes in droves, because those who went in years past have been returning to their home towns filthy rich.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X