Concubines... are an option (part deux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Seriously speaking, I don't think I would like to live in a society where concubines confer status. Concubines seem rather expensive for a man of limited means like myself.
    Expensive it may be, its less environmentally damaging than SUVs or 5,000 square foot McMansions.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      Seriously speaking, I don't think I would like to live in a society where concubines confer status. Concubines seem rather expensive for a man of limited means like myself.
      I guess the closest thing in the US is a "trophy wife".
      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye

But we've also got hos/hoes. They're much cheaper.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

Because of course hoes are rare in Asia
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I never said that
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
              The first divorce is probably more expensive than the trophy wife.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You just have to have the right pre-nup
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

Not sure there's much status to be gained in letting it be known you patronize a prostitute, but you're welcome to find out!
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

With all the movies and songs about them, it seems obvious that they are high status.

Comment

Status shmatus. Cash is King.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                      X