Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Touche.

What do you call it when it follows "to be"?
    According to my dictionary, the English term is "complement".

Linguists would call the whole phrase "to be an option" a predicate.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
      Infinitive?
      No, I meant, what do you call a noun that follows a linking verb (such as "to be").

Comment

And TLC answered.

Comment

There may be a link between this thread and the one about the toxic spill.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Re: Re: Concubines... are an option (part deux)

Originally posted by Winston
            Just for the sake of making DanS happy, since I know how much he loves these off topic remarks, shouldn't it be "Concubines... is an option"?

To wit, you can say "an option is so and so", or "one option would be so and so" not "an option are..".

Just sayin'.
            Not quite sure why it is correct to say "concubines are an option," but it is correct.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              In China, it's very strange as a rapid prevalence of prostitution is usually a sign of a struggling or declining economy, something that is certainly not happening in China. What I worry about is that traditional attitudes toward women are reemerging.
              I think it is easy to mark it up to the fact that economic progress is rather uneven.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Not quite sure why it is correct to say "concubines are an option," but it is correct.
                DanS, you know from first hand experience just how brilliant my English is, and yet you still have the audacity to argue its proper use?!

It don't compute.

Comment

The last time I diagrammed a sentence was in high school. Have a high schooler around here do it.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Concubines... are an option (part deux)

It's correct because you copycatted that title from me and I wrote it correctly.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

So as not to threadjack any further, I think it'd be more fun to have a concubine do it.

Comment

The last time I diagrammed a sentence was in high school. Have a high schooler around here do it.
                        Kuci already did.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Concubines... are an option (part deux)

Originally posted by Colon
                          It's correct because you copycatted that title from me and I wrote it correctly.
                          That's all we need to know.

Comment

Seriously speaking, I don't think I would like to live in a society where concubines confer status. Concubines seem rather expensive for a man of limited means like myself.

Comment

Seriously speaking, I don't think I would like to live in a society where concubines confer status. Concubines seem rather expensive for a man of limited means like myself.
                              And annoyingly time-consuming...
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Hard Gay and Japan laugh at all you other Asian nations trying to be gay...

KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X