GM Feebly Wards off Bankruptcy with layoffs of 30,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by faded glory
    edited. No saturn is Honda's arch nemesis. Keep it. Cheap, reliable, mod-able.

Think Redline....Vrooom. Saturns going places.

As an aside, my roommates and I watch that Police Videos show every evening, almost. I think of you whenever we do.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

General Motors is slowly becoming a healthcare and pension management company that does cars on the side
      Yup yup.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

As an aside, my roommates and I watch that Police Videos show every evening, almost. I think of you whenever we do.
        heh

I have 2 DUI's. If you see an rusty F-150 from 97 or a 2000 Mercury Cougar ;-)

Or a guy hauling quarters. Dont rememeber a camera tho.

Both times I was playing "I'de die for you" bye Candlebox. I joked with the cop about that.

Comment

This will cut the manufacturing capacity in North America by 1 million vehicles per year.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The truly sad thing is that Roger Smith, GM CEO in the 1980's (the Roger and Me guy) spent over $45 billion in automation and Saturn development over the course of his tenure. For that same amount of money, given their then (1986) market capitalizations and adding a 40% premium, GM could have bought Toyota and Nissan.

Comment

That is truly sad, John, and quite amazing!

talk about bad decision making.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Btw, I don't really get the complaints against the workers - It's pretty clear that the problem with american cars and GM's cars is reliability, and having a multitude of designs and models - not uncompetitive prices. Sounds to me like this is the direct result of dodgy management.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Should they ditch Saturn? As I understand it, Saturn is actually fairly successful compared to the rest of GM's line. I know I like my Saturn.
                  Me too, although the interior sucks and it is over 10 years old. More recent models (like my girlfriend's) don't seem to be made as well.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                    The truly sad thing is that Roger Smith, GM CEO in the 1980's (the Roger and Me guy) spent over $45 billion in automation and Saturn development over the course of his tenure. For that same amount of money, given their then (1986) market capitalizations and adding a 40% premium, GM could have bought Toyota and Nissan.
                    Yeah, but you gotta consider the odds that they would've just ran Toyota into the ground if they did buy it.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                      Btw, I don't really get the complaints against the workers - It's pretty clear that the problem with american cars and GM's cars is reliability, and having a multitude of designs and models - not uncompetitive prices. Sounds to me like this is the direct result of dodgy management.
                      It's a combination of a lot of things, including the two that you mentioned. Sorta like the blind man at the elephant, GM's collapse can be viewed many ways.

Comment

GM needs an outsider like Ghosn instead of the inbreed do the same thing we've always done corporate lifers they've always used. Their current problems really aren't a mystery since they've starved their car line up for decent product so they can concentrat on gas guzzling SUVs and trucks. They ignored hybreeds for the last decade when Toyota and Honda were busy developing the technology because of GM's "the next quarter results are the only results which matter" type thinking.

Nissan turned around a much worse position but it took an outsider with a fresh approach to do it along with a lot of money to invest in new products. I can't believe Wagoner kept his job after all the years of disappointing results and the FIAT debockle.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thing about that Fiat deal... Fiat originally wanted $3 billion, GM countered with $250 million. They settled at $2 billion.

on GM's negotiating team.

Comment

Oerdin:
                            Nissan has become Renault's biyatch in the process. Ghosn leading Nissan wasn't precisely a free decision on Nissan's part.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

on GM's negotiating team.

Shame on them for wanting to buy Fiat in any case. They have a car maker in trouble on their own. They hardly need an additional one on board.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I don't see FIAT going bankrupt. There's always the Italian state.

Az, how come Israel didn't try to develop an auto industry? It is compatible and supportive of military industries you are good at.

Comment

Working...
                                X